• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Electric fuel pump setup

68 Satellite

Local time
8:59 AM
Reaction score
As work continues verrry slowly on my car I need to decide what pump to get. The gas tank is setup with a sump with two holes on the back and one on the bottom. If I go with an electric pump,should it have a return line on it also? I assume the outlet will be the bottom one so do they all have the other two holes? I also need to plumb all the way to the engine. Thanks for any help.

I run a Mallory Comp 140 pump. I bolted mine to the front of my spare tire well on the outside using some rubber isolators that I made up with nylock nuts. They prevent any vibration from travelling through the floor or chassis.
This pump has an internal bypass, so a return line is not necessary. The hole in the bottom of your sump is a drain, and the two to the rear are for supply to the pump. Depending on your engine requirements, you probably would only need to use one of them. As your car accellerates, the fuel is pused to the rear of the sump, forcing it out to the pump. Electric fuel pumps like to push fuel, not pull it, so mount yours lower that the outlet level, and as far to the rear as possible.

well my motor would be fine with a mechanical pump so thats what im gona use eventualy i bought it with the holley blue. im sure there are higher quality quiter electric pumps out there tho.

I was looking at the mechanical pumps and noticed they all have a 1/4 inlet and outlet.Didn't know if that would matter or not. I'm going to be running a 451 so don't want to go small either.mr. bevedere are you running a return line? I,ve only been able to find bits and pieces about how to actually put a system together so I don't really know what the return line does.

It really all depends on the build, and what your anticipated fuel requirements will be. Your main concern in setting up your fuel system is having adequate volume, not pressure. What cam, intake, carb, c.r., headers? Need more info-:grin:

451 Engle KV-1 cam 546 lift 239 @.050, Edelbrock 84 cc heads,10.5 :1 cr Holley 850 DP 3500 stall 456 rear 2" headers will see little time on the strip mostly just street time.

I would say that any pump providing 125 to 140 gph should be fine for your application, depending on how often you're in the secondaries. Start off with -8AN (1/2") from the sump to the pump with a good inline filter (one that can be dissasembled and cleaned) in between, continue the -8AN from the pump to the engine compartment to an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. Also, mount your regulator in rubber to eliminate vibration that may give you an erratic pressure reading, you want a good solid 6.5 to 7 psi. on the outlet side of the regulator. Then from the regulator, run a section of -6AN(3/8") line to each float bowl.
With this combination of pump, and the step down in fuel line diameter, it will supply enough fuel at the proper pressure to feed your motor with those gears at the rpm range you'll be running. If you haven't purchased your carb yet, you may want to consider a 850 vacuum secondary, or possibly a 750 dp. Your engine will probably like these better for the street, alot crisper throttle response, and easier to be able to set a proper idle mixture. The vacuum secondaries work off of engine load and demand, so you may actually gain some mpg-that is,if you care about such a thing!

I'm running essentially the system that mr belvedere has outlined with an Aeromotive AEI-11203 pump and Holley 950 mechanical secondaries. You think the Holley Blue is loud, ha ain't got nothing on this sucker! I've tried everything but it's a racing pump so.........

Thanks thats basically what I'd planned but still am wondering about the return line.IS IT NECESSARY? Also any thoughts about the 1/4 openings on the mecahaical pump?

Thanks thats basically what I'd planned but still am wondering about the return line.IS IT NECESSARY? Also any thoughts about the 1/4 openings on the mecahaical pump?

The return line is not needed. I think you are confusing 1/4" fuel line with the 1/4" NPT fitting size on your pumps inlet and outlet. Theses are two totally different sizes.

i,ve never seen 1/4 " fuel lines on a mopar mechanical pump. i believe they are all 5/16 or 3/8s. someone correct me if i,m wrong

Maybe I'm reading it wrong but the electric 's have 3/8 npt and the mechanicals have 1/4 npt .which is 33% smaller or doesn't it work that way? I do know if you double a pipe it makes the volume 4X bigger

Auto Transport Service
Back