• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Electrical ignition ???

Commando 65

Local time
2:36 AM
Reaction score
Recently swaped from points to electrical ignition , now only getting 6 volts my buddy said I need to upgrade the mechanical voltage regulator to electric , what is the best way to go here ? Any input or advise we're to find what I need would be great !!!! Mopar to you !!!!!

Still using the ballast resistor? You have the orange electronic box? Did you upgrade the distrib too? Personally I like a little more modern tech like the msd 6 box and mech advance distrib but if you just wanted to upgrade to orange box you have to change the guts of the distrib to stator ect. post some pics of your set up helps

Yes put new distributor , ignition , still using ballast resister ! Purchased the kit from proform ! And getin spikes and 6 volts at coil ? Sorry no pics !

if your using the mopar 1.25 ohm ballast resistor you'll only get 6 volts to the coil. regulator wouldn't have anything to do with it.

You may want to check your voltage regulator box. Sounds alot like what happened to me when I switched over to electronic ignition. also make sure that eveything is grounded (GOOD). That has bit me in the butt more than once.

Auto Transport Service
Back