• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Electronic ignition conversion

DownZero, I have ,with the Pertronix I run it with,and without the ballast. I never saw a difference in the way the car runs. Now with the II and III, I did find that with,the car had Issues.By-pass the ballast and the problem was gone.
Currently running my 65 Pertronix I with the ballast by-past and using their .06 ohm coil.Why ? I like to do experiments to see what works and what don't. The Pertronix paper work and internet page lists V8 engines can use either the 1.5 or the .06. (Claimed hotter spark)They recommend their 3.0 coil for 4 & 6 cylinder engines. I have used the 3.0 coil and the Mopar electronic ignition WITH the ballast by-past and the car runs fine.Stock 79 360 with the Lean Burn system replaced.Just some info to pass along.

Just got the ignitor1 with 1.5 ohm coil. Directions are somewhat misleading about the ballast resistor. Is it the consensus here that the resistor must be bypassed?

I have two Pertronix 1381A units in service, and purchased Pertonix 40011 coils to go with each.
Included with the coils should be a sheet of instructions. On the back of this sheet it recommends using no resistor with the 8 Cylinder application.
I wanted to keep the stock look so I removed the ballast resistor, clipped/removed the resistor from the case, then stripped the insulation from a section of 10 guage wire then soldered this in to take the place of the actual resistor. Then reattached the ballast resistor unit.
Works fine!

I have two Pertronix 1381A units in service, and purchased Pertonix 40011 coils to go with each.
Included with the coils should be a sheet of instructions. On the back of this sheet it recommends using no resistor with the 8 Cylinder application.
I wanted to keep the stock look so I removed the ballast resistor, clipped/removed the resistor from the case, then stripped the insulation from a section of 10 guage wire then soldered this in to take the place of the actual resistor. Then reattached the ballast resistor unit.
Works fine!
I did the exact thing on mine !

Auto Transport Service
Back