• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Emergency Brake Cable Install (Interior)

wild bill

Local time
2:42 AM
Reaction score
Hello Friends! This is Wild Bill. I had a question as to how to install the emergency brake cable to the interior E brakepedal mechanism. Does anybody have a photograph on what an install looks like. And, if possible what parts are needed to complete this install. Lesson Learned: I did take photos of the E Brake Pedal Mech before removing it from the car. To further complicate matters I was not to diligent in cateloging the removed parts, or if they were such was lost when those parts were cleaned and restored. Update: will put my 1969 Road Runner on the road (spring) for the 1st time after an eight yr restoration. Here We Go!!! Iam as far as I can go and now must test drive to find any remaining "bugs". Everyone has been so helpful on this site. I could not have gotten this far w/out all the help of the mopar family. Thank you so much!

hey Bill, I went through the same thing reinstalling my E brake mechanism. I'm going off of memory, which gets worse over time. The cable end has to go through the middle of the mechanism and attaches with a special E or C type clip. I first tried attaching the cable using a some generic clip but there's not enough room. I have photos at home that I can send over tonight to better illustrate.
And you didn't mention it, but you need to reinstall the small spring at the rear of the ratcheting mechanism. I broke that spring during disassembly and eventually had to buy a used E brake mechanism from a swap meet just for the spring.

Bill,
There's only one picture post-resto and a couple pre-resto. You can see the E brake cable attachment; didn't take any pics of how the cable attached inside the mechanism. Hope this helps a little.

IMG_2817.JPG IMG_1408.JPG IMG_1409.JPG

No pictures but here goes. The prong end of the cable goes on the actuator. To hold it on, there is a threadless pin that goes through both pieces and the pin is held in by a circular toothed washer. The kind you press onto the pin, similar to the ones that go on the window regulators but smaller. The cable houding is attached to the brske body by a u clamp and bolt

hey Bill, I went through the same thing reinstalling my E brake mechanism. I'm going off of memory, which gets worse over time. The cable end has to go through the middle of the mechanism and attaches with a special E or C type clip. I first tried attaching the cable using a some generic clip but there's not enough room. I have photos at home that I can send over tonight to better illustrate.
And you didn't mention it, but you need to reinstall the small spring at the rear of the ratcheting mechanism. I broke that spring during disassembly and eventually had to buy a used E brake mechanism from a swap meet just for the spring.

Sweet! I did know about the spring either! oh boy.I figured some kind of spring needed to present on that mech. Idk why but on all my cars the e brake and windshielf wipers dont work! I found these to be the most difficult to restore for some odd reason. thanks CoronetDarter great and useful information!

No pictures but here goes. The prong end of the cable goes on the actuator. To hold it on, there is a threadless pin that goes through both pieces and the pin is held in by a circular toothed washer. The kind you press onto the pin, similar to the ones that go on the window regulators but smaller. The cable houding is attached to the brske body by a u clamp and bolt
Again excellent pics coronetdarter. I see now how the cable is HELD to the e brake mech. thats what i needed to see. thanks

A much better description than my first post. It also jogged my memory. When reassembling I couldn't find the OE pin so I tried using a very small nut/bolt but i couldn't negotiate in such a tight space. Fortunately I found the pin and washer at the bottom of one of the parts jars and then the cable attached in seconds.

Auto Transport Service
Back