• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Endless Squeaky V belts

Guido

Local time
5:40 AM
Reaction score
Does anyone know why my "V" belts keep squealing? I've cleanded the pully's very well and tried several new belts but the power steering still squeals around 3000 and up. I put new power steering too. the last belt finally stopped squealing but when i put the new motor in, I guess I put the belt on backwards and now the squeal is back. I have new belt but haven't put it on yet. I was hoping someone had a fix for me. I tightened it very good w/ large prybar. I even tightened it so tight - it got much worse. So, "not tight enough" isn't the problem either. I've heard all kinds of things that sound crazy. DW 40, Engine degreaser, Bar Soap, all kinds of stuff. But all of the fix videos on you-tube are for serpentine belts. I don't what to do about it and u how annoying it is. Any thought would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Couple things to bear in mind.... proper belt tension is accomplished with a belt tension checking tool, such as the one Browning makes. Any other method is just a guess, good or bad. The other question is your iron.....just how many miles are on your pulleys?? If they are high mile jobs, you are prone to failure. I don't know about reconditioning them, but I'd bet a good machinist could check them, and maybe break the glaze if nothing else. More than likely bottom pulley is the most important to start with. And lastly, look into the possibility that one of the loads is too high or dragging..... power steering has been the cause of many a squealing belt, even from brank spankin new. Also, bear in mind, once they are toast, start over with new and maybe experiment with other types, such as gripnotch.... If you super tightened them, or they have already been squealing, they are now junk. What is the actual set-up (pic)?? You do know Mother Mopar needed a very special matched set dual setup for the AC cars for good reason?
HTH, Lefty71

There is a belt dressing spray available that increases grip, although it is a band-aid and makes a mess.
but could be used as a temporary fix.

If you lay a brand new belt in the groove (check this on all pulley's) the belt should slightly stick out of the pulley.
If the full belt is able to sink in the groove, it is either the wrong belt or the pulley is worn out.
Check the width of the current belt and see if you can find another belt slightly wider, maybe a metric sized belt would be a little wider that will sort it.
Thing is, once the groove is worn or the belt is not wide enough, it will touch the ID of the groove which stops the taper from properly engaging and therefore loose the grip.

If it squeals when properly adjusted with a good belt, then the pulleys are mis-aligned.
Never spray anything on the belts, it will only make it worse.

Like lefty posted ^^^ the glaze on the pulley is prob whats got you.
I have fought this before, I took the el cheapo route and used a piece or 2 of 320 sandpaper and took the glaze off the inside of the pulleys. Worked for me.
And yes like the others posted you got to have them inline.
Plus just one more thing from me, Some of the older steering pump pulleys and crank pulleys use a wide grove , make sure your not mismatched on pulleys or your belt.

Avoid any “Gatorback” type belts, they seem worse to me. You think you’re doing a good deed buying the expensive stuff, but a plain belt is quieter.

I would suspect mis-alignment. Even a small amount can create squeal. Had one set that looked god visually, but the long straight edge said something different.

Your pulley(s) may be worn. There are gauges one can use to check the wear. Most belt slippage occurs when the side of the pulley get rounded.
Ron
F876833E-AC7E-4A92-86AF-0B4159B874AD.jpeg
87031424-5C9C-44B5-9D78-13280C40ABAB.jpeg
D3A573E0-B568-412A-AA71-DAB0C446D0FB.jpeg

Last edited:
Your pulley(s) may be worn. There are gauges one can use to check the wear. Most belt slippage occurs when the side of the pulley get rounded.
Ron
View attachment 956826View attachment 956827View attachment 956828
Add this problem in with bad alignment and poor quality belts and you'll always have squeal. In the early 90's when I worked at a NAPA store, NAPA changed their belt types giving you two choices. Higher dollar ribbed type with less cord reinforcement or lower dollar solid with more cord reinforcement. I had a problem on my 70 Chally with squeal and rubber powder all over the engine department. The two tech's at the repair shop next to work told me it was due to the ribbed belts. The lower dollar ones didn't shred rubber like the ribbed. Tie that in with getting the accessories all aligned, which I had done when the engine was out to paint the engine bay. I took a bunch of time to shim/move/tweek the accessories when it was on the stand. Accessories could be ahead or behind the crank, have a twist to them, be bent looking out or in etc etc. Add worn pulleys like the picture that Ronnman shows and you have your problem.

My Gates gatorback belts seem to work just fine, but not many miles on them. I did spend a little time checking & shimming for good alignment. Pulleys are not worn.

My Gates gatorback belts seem to work just fine, but not many miles on them. I did spend a little time checking & shimming for good alignment. Pulleys are not worn.

I am using the same, never had issues with slippage.

if you want to try a quick fix that might work for worn pulleys, if you can find a john deere belt the correct length they have a different v angle might help with grip!
I use to use a product called "door ease" which was a type stick that would quieten belts temporarily and an old timer told me brake fluid which I tried and it does work,but not something you want flying around!

I have always used baking soda on squeaky belts. to give belts the grip, not slip.

I use the Dayco top cog belts. I’ve had the best luck with them. Don’t use any belt that has the cogs inside. U do know that the p/s belt is wider than the alt belt right? Pulley’s can and do wear out. Tooth paste works good. Kim

I also had the same problem even with new gates belts, so I switched to continental belts that summit had available - and no more squealing as they are a touch wider than the gates and fit my pulleys much better

Auto Transport Service
Back