• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine assembly question...need advice

64SF

Local time
4:32 AM
Reaction score
Several weeks ago I picked up my "bagged" machined engine block from the machine shop. They had installed the crankshaft and camshaft....which I asked them to do. The crankshaft mains have been torqued to the proper specs and the camshaft, sprocket and chain were degreed in.

This afternoon I pulled the bag (it's on an engine stand) to start assembly but am concerned about moving forward because the engine, lifter bores and other surfaces feel "gritty" almost like fine honing "dust". Also, the lifter bores need a little cleaning up...they also feel gritty and the lifters do not slide easily.

As I mentioned earlier the crank is installed the mains caps are torqued and the rear main seal cap is installed as well....

Here is the question.
Can/should I disassemble and and do a soap and water cleaning?
Will disassembly create issues with the torqued main bearing and rear main cap/seal?

I don't want to take it back to the machine shop....it took them a while to complete the work. As always thoughts or comments are greatly appreciated.

I agree 100%! did the gritty come into play before or after the crank and cam were installed.
You dont know

disassemble, clean everything and put it back together yourself. there's no telling what kind of crap might be in the bearings and oil passages.

Right now not a problem it will not hurt anything to take crank and cam out it is already degreeed make sure every thing is marked if they didn't do it. keep bearing together. I use (purple power) when washing block wash blow out then fine coat of thin oil.
You will feel better knowing there was no grit in there.

If you want it done right...do it yourself!
In real terms, if 'they' put the thing together like 'that', why would you trust them to redo it right???

Toss in the fact that, just because it's said the motor has been degreed, doesn't mean it's right. Pull the thing completely down, and start over. Suggest going over all your clearances with a fine tooth comb, and make sure it's what you want, and start fresh on degreeing the cam.
Heck...you need the practice anyway...right?

not sure what the "grit" is, but if it's something that they did not intend to be there, it will chew up bearings and could score the engine in the first few minutes of start up. However, I have seen assembly lube with graphite in it that felt gritty. Perhaps they coated the engine with this type of assembly lube?? A quick phone call could clear up a lot.....

Thanks for the comments....my biggest concern was disturbing the torqued main caps...will pull it apart and give it a good bath. :thankyou:

You should pull the oil galley plugs and use cleaning brushes in them too. Then make sure you use compressed air to blow everything out well because unless you remove the cam bearings too, you can't completely clean the oil passages and you run the risk of leaving water in the oiling system.
Grit is bad. Un-torquing and retorquing is no problem unless someone went too far and overtightened something. If it was me it would go to a bare block except for the freeze plugs.

I put a rebuilt 440 in place of a 400 in my truck years ago,400 had windowed the pan so I mig welded it and re used it. I thought I cleaned the pan up real wel,...but not well enough,cost me a virgin steel crank,dirt is evil!!

Cam bearings will be okay, as long as they were put in right. But, motors do not like grit! Needs to go...only one way I know to fix that. Besides...you do want a last look at all your shiny new parts, right?
Re-torquing your bolts is no prob...their not one-timers. And if you have the means, check ALL your clearances, so you know what's what.
For what it's worth, parts cleaning, I've always sprayed 'em down with kerosene, and the soap/water. Use air to blow out water, before the kerosene.

Was the motor turned upside down while covered? The debris could have come out of the water jacket. Mark every thing. Remove the timing chain. Make sure you can rotate the cam by hand. Mark all the rod caps and bearings, remove the piston rod assys. Remove the crank marking all the mains. Remove the galley plugs. Clean and brush everything with dish soap and hot water, then blow dry while spraying WD40 on bare metal surfaces. Easy reassembly. reinstall all components in the original locations. Torque everything to spec using specified lube. If your'e not familiar with installing pistons and lining up the timing chain get someone with experience to give you a hand.
Doug

Auto Transport Service
Back