• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine Block Decode Question...Factory Replacement???

I'll have to put the car back up on the lift to try to see that. But I don't recall seeing anything in that area before.
He means the pad under the distributor.

I would also think it's a poorly stamped VIN that the dealer pulled from a wreck? Possibly a Satellite RHxxH9y151029?

What about the stamps below the driver's side head?

HP?
Its a botched stamping. With the botched VIN it tells me that it was a engine installed on the production line into a 69 model year car. It is not a warranty or over the counter block. My bets it was a used engine that got installed some time in the cars life.

Get some pics of the standard stamping areas and locations of any markings you can see. The guys on this forum are blood-hounds. Should be able get a good answer.
OK, I'll do that and get back. This is just a pic of the engine compartment.

383 RR Engine Drvs side.jpg

This is a real factory warranty block part number.The cars serial # is stamped on the top of the rear of the block.I have the warranty paper work that came with the car.I never bothered to try and decode the number because I'm not a numbers kind of guy.I've had a lot of customers tell me that their car has a warranty block but mine is the only one that I've ever seen with a part number on it.The engine was put in 5 months after purchase.
block.jpg

This is a real factory warranty block part number.The cars serial # is stamped on the top of the rear of the block.I have the warranty paper work that came with the car.I never bothered to try and decode the number because I'm not a numbers kind of guy.I've had a lot of customers tell me that their car has a warranty block but mine is the only one that I've ever seen with a part number on it.The engine was put in 5 months after purchase
Would you have a closer pic of the stampings - assuming you mean these characters?

EngineSerialNumber.jpg

These are usually the engine serial number stamped on a completed engine assembly at the engine plant and contain information that would not be known for an "un-built" block?

Thanks
Mark

I don't know how to get a shot of just that corner but the numbers are...PT 440S25100759

That is the first time I've seen a replacement block with the VIN of the car it was going in stamped on it.

Looks like they took a LOT of time and care to do that, too.

My guess is 99% of them didn't get that treatment.

or

Someone other than a dealership stamped that number.

BTW- I have two 318 warranty blocks- one in a 67 and one that was removed from a 73 that has a 76 date.
I haven't dated the one from the 67, but it has the riveted tag below the head.
The 76 block has a blank pan rail pad.
It is on a pallet. Next time I have a spare hour or two, I'll see about the rear flange/ear area.

It’s no good. It has a different engine that was manufactured by Chrysler, but “incorrect”… not numbers matching. But if it has 70% Asian sheet metal produced in 2018… it’s all original. No wonder restomods are the big ticket currently. :D

YY1
The number font from the pan rail matches the number font on the top of the block just not as deep.

PT 440S25100759
Note - this is the engine serial number, not a VIN of any kind. This alludes to me that it was a complete engine, not just a service block/short block. Being a '68 and a 'performance' engine, there's a good possibility a partial VIN is stamped into the top of the transmission flange next to/in the area near the oil pressure sender.

PT = 'Plant' "Trenton" where the engine was built
440 = displacement
S = "Special Engine" - I believe in '68 that is an "L" 440 375hp for R/T or TNT C-body
2510 = built Tuesday, June 11, 1968
0759 = 759th engine built that day (all displacements I believe)

A copy of two pages of the '68 TSB that relevant - from Hamtramck Historical

D68-25-1 page6.jpg

D68-25-1 page7.jpg

Wow! Thank you for this info.
I talked to the orig owner and the only thing he said was it took two weeks to get the car back.I just took it for granted it was just the short block when he said they put in a new engine.
Thanks for all your time and effort to dig up this info.:thumbsup:

Auto Transport Service
Back