• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine block ID help

My3mopars

Local time
4:53 PM
Reaction score
Hey all,
I have this block that I’m trying to figure out. It’s a cast in early 70 block HP and was stamped for a 70 model year vehicle. The issue is the VIN stamp area at the pan rail is blank. It looks fairly rough too, like it wasn’t machined and stamped. What am I looking at? Warranty engine possibly?

Many thanks!
40261FA9-4168-4758-AA18-A3D3EDB21F41.jpeg
168B6654-6299-47ED-91F2-1DC61A2318EB.jpeg

192426D7-6A70-4CDA-8F93-1DF9BE7141D2.jpeg
03583F79-0AB0-4BDA-B039-2B2A7342A781.jpeg

It could have been a warranty replacement, but it has definitely been built and used at one time, as indicated by the top pad stamping.

The missing “matching number” block for someone’s early ‘70 built Mopar.

It could have been a warranty replacement, but it has definitely been built and used at one time, as indicated by the top pad stamping.
Definitely built and used, but I think never stamped. As far as I can tell sometime in 68 forward should have a partial vin stamp.

It may be just me, but..... the engine pad stamps don't look like a factory font to me.
I don’t have any other 1970 blocks to compare with, but it looks pretty close to the others I have. Another one is very lightly stamped, but the font looks good. Another is pretty sloppy in placement. Hard to say.
4A4AAE01-B6B4-4488-862A-A454C3D3E734.jpeg
078974FC-2ADC-4F91-AEBD-F9920D7CCD15.jpeg
E158CECC-4DBC-4A55-A301-F99F6D7A30A0.jpeg
72E85977-2D13-422B-96A4-DA3E3E64ED7A.jpeg

My later 69 block only has the last eight digits of the vin. First five digits missing.
I have the same. Late 69 casting, stamped for a 70, with only 8 digits, then a 69/69 block with 13 digits.

I'm NOT saying its a restamp, may have been stamped by the warrantee replacer. Its just that the stamping looks better/more precise than most I've seen.
Yet the vin stamp on my 69 block is very nice , precise and even. Maybe it depends on how many beers the engine stamper had with lunch.

I don’t have any other 1970 blocks to compare with, but it looks pretty close to the others I have. Another one is very lightly stamped, but the font looks good. Another is pretty sloppy in placement. Hard to say.
View attachment 1230331 View attachment 1230332 View attachment 1230333 View attachment 1230334
Here is my 1970 383 block stamping, The only difference I see the "1" is not the same but who knows what stamps were used back then in a pinch on the line.
IMG_1791.JPG

I'm NOT saying its a restamp, may have been stamped by the warrantee replacer. Its just that the stamping looks better/more precise than most I've seen.
Yet the vin stamp on my 69 block is very nice , precise and even. Maybe it depends on how many beers the engine stamper had with lunch.

I think they started in on the beer during the morning “coffee” break. . There is no evidence of paint on the block ever, which is apparently how they did warranty blocks. Who knows! Definitely not me.

Well it turns out 4/10/70 was a Friday and 2nd shift so read into that what you will :D

Wrong font! also WT water test is usually a larger size stamp.
71blockB_zpsvvssgmhz.jpg

It may be just me, but..... the engine pad stamps don't look like a factory font to me.
I agree. From what I can see, it doesn't even look like it has ever had any freeze plugs put in it. The block is too clean looking (lack of corrosion damage). It might have been a warranty block that was never used, but years later acquired, and was in the process of being stamped to replace an original block. The oil pan rail VIN pad being blank is another clue of a warranty block. The top pad stamping does look "Too" perfect to me also. Could be the person who stamped it didn't know or realize that the partial VIN goes on the pan rail too. I do definitely agree that the "1" font is not correct, and I think that the "4" and "0" is not correct either. I would be curious to see the cylinders, but doubt it has ever been built.

Auto Transport Service
Back