• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine block plate E440

1968340S

Local time
7:56 AM
Reaction score
What does the letter E before the 440 on the top block plate stand for.
Was told that this is out of a 1969 Charger.

Seller doesn't know the casting number. I'll have to check it out myself.
Engine is about 1 hr away, just trying to save time.

E 440 is a 440 engine that was originally in a 69 automobile. If it was in a 69 Charger it should read
E 440 HP and below or the second line should be the build date. If this engine was not a HP it probably wasn't in a Charger.

Got the casting #2536430-5..not sure what the -5 means...1966-72 RB440.
E440 means 1969 and it's not a HP engine. Came out of a truck that has a 4 speed manual trans
with granny low and the exhaust manifolds have the flange centered not like an automobile.

Any good info on theses engines? Also what is the proper size socket for the crank bolt.
Like to check to see if the engine turns with a breaker bar.

thx chris

The -5 indicates how many of the casting core pieces had been replaced from the original set, due to wearing out, chipping, or other reasons. It can be an indicator of core shift, repeat can,not a guarantee of shift. I have seen blocks with as high as -7 and-8. The longer a run of essentially unchanged blocks, more likely casting cores will get changed out.

The -5 indicates how many of the casting core pieces had been replaced from the original set, due to wearing out, chipping, or other reasons. It can be an indicator of core shift, repeat can,not a guarantee of shift. I have seen blocks with as high as -7 and-8. The longer a run of essentially unchanged blocks, more likely casting cores will get changed out.

If I understand. The blocks have had improvements from earlier year block problems and adjusted at the factory.

Got the casting #2536430-5..not sure what the -5 means...1966-72 RB440.
E440 means 1969 and it's not a HP engine. Came out of a truck that has a 4 speed manual trans
with granny low and the exhaust manifolds have the flange centered not like an automobile.

Any good info on theses engines? Also what is the proper size socket for the crank bolt.
Like to check to see if the engine turns with a breaker bar.

thx chris

If it is an old pickup truck engine then it is just worth core price. Around here that would be $300 to $500. The crank bolt should have a 1 1/4 hex head on it but it could've been changed to something else over the years. The engine is 50 years old so who knows what all has been done to it over the years. Don't pay too much for it. An old pickup truck engine could have blown head gaskets, cooked exhaust valves, spun bearings, etc. About 20% of the core engines I buy turn out to be total junk. Sometimes I get lucky and find a nice block or a good crank but a lot of these old engines are used up. That is why they are sitting around. If they were any good they would be running in cars.

If it is an old pickup truck engine then it is just worth core price. Around here that would be $300 to $500. The crank bolt should have a 1 1/4 hex head on it but it could've been changed to something else over the years. The engine is 50 years old so who knows what all has been done to it over the years. Don't pay too much for it. An old pickup truck engine could have blown head gaskets, cooked exhaust valves, spun bearings, etc. About 20% of the core engines I buy turn out to be total junk. Sometimes I get lucky and find a nice block or a good crank but a lot of these old engines are used up. That is why they are sitting around. If they were any good they would be running in cars.

That all makes good since. I remember driving the hell out of trucks that had the granny low when I was a kid.
There are so any 440's for sale that have the same ID. Like to purchase a runner, but the cost is ridiculous.
I have no problem rebuilding....never know what your getting from a stranger.

That all makes good since. I remember driving the hell out of trucks that had the granny low when I was a kid.
There are so any 440's for sale that have the same ID. Like to purchase a runner, but the cost is ridiculous.
I have no problem rebuilding....never know what your getting from a stranger.

Going to purchase the engine. Has a little history. Seems like the this guy had several 1969 Chargers that he used to jump ravines/canyons...ect. Total stunt man. Had 6 cars left and sold them for $1,000.00 each back in the late 90's.
Keep this engine and replace it in a 318 Power Wagon to tow other trucks to do his stunts and racing. It's a runner with everything on the block. What the hell $400.00. Pick it Saturday and probably start into it in a couple of weeks.
I wont be surprised if it has a few extras. Thanks for all the input.

Auto Transport Service
Back