• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine Casting Dates & ID Boss Stamps Question

Alsd65

Local time
8:10 PM
Reaction score
Does anyone know the approximate production schedules between the time a motor was cast and the time it was actually installed into a B-body?

The ID Boss on front of my newly acquired 383 is stamped "B 383." I think that means installed in a 66 model year(?). But the casting date behind the starter on the block states it was cast in February 1965.

Was February 1965 a typical casting date for the blocks to make it into 66 cars? Or is it more likely this engine was set aside during production and fed back into the production line later for some reason or other?

It's going into my disassembled 1965 coronet 500 convertible. Just a bonus if its correct and curious if it took the long way to get there.

Casting dates vs. build dates, vary greatly. You have a 1966 model year engine. 66 engines were starting to be built by July 65 for the august start of the new model year. Your engine should have the build date stamped into it next to the B 383. There can be a few days,or many months, between casting and building.

Here is a 383 I have sitting in the corner. June 2, 69 casting with the 70 "E" code stamped on the engine ID boss.

IMG_1323.jpg

thats normal, blocks are cast way ahead of building.
I recently sold a 1974 440 HP forged crank engine that definitely had the correct 1974 Charger Rallye VIN,, and the casting date was 10-70.So chrysler had a bunch of over production going on.
sadly that car was junked because it wound up at the police Impound lot, and no
title available, parts only. My friend junked it.(1985)

Sometimes they got behind too. Engine in my car was cast 11-11-63 and built on 12-11-63.

Just to double check,
What/where should I look for the date code on a 70 or 71 440?
I am 95% sure the raised cast number said "1971" but I'd appreciate some knowledge.
Thanks.

the casting date is top of block below head, by motor mount brackets. That is the date that block was created. then it went wherever until needed.Once chosen for a particular car, the ID pad states what day the engine was assembled. It usually is within a few days of the Scheduled build date of the car. then, late 67 the last eight digit numbers of the VIN began to show up, but mostly Muscle cars only. That number was on the driver side top of block lip where it meets the transmission, in jan 68 many cars began to get them, then by 69 all got them.
in 1969 the standard place then became passenger side bottom of block near oil pan attachment by motor mount.

regarding the original question, keep in mind the casting date is secondary, the ID pad date say for 1970 model year should not be earlier than july of 1969 for 1970 models. and, by then it is easy to verify by matching the fender tag to the ID pad.

In addition, if you were really curious, the 10,000 day code is on the back of the big blocks underneath the bottom of the block, rear under the starter. the small block is in front of block, Driver side under where the head is attached, behind power steering pump. That will tell you what plant, and what date it was made as well.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back