• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine Compartment Details

Maxrat

Local time
10:12 AM
Reaction score
Restoring a 1966 Charger body and interior is hard enough. Getting engine compartment details can also be challenging. The engine compartment paint on this car is original and just touched up where needed. Note: the brown primer area behind the hood spring -- that's original -- and I've seen that on many Chargers including Hemi cars. Yes I know, the engine color, air cleaner and A/C routing isn't correct --- I changed a few thing for my preference.
1696760007332.png

If i had to nitpick anything it would be the speedo cable. Looks like the wrong shade of black. Just kidding. Everything looks great! Looks clean enough to do an operation under there.

Nice I didn’t go back to original either. You should make it the way you want it to look and run. Glad to see another 66 getting the love they deserve. I’m in the process of re-installing my motor after I had her bored .30 over and put some new heads and went with all roller plus did the Holley efi complete system. She will be ready come spring I have at least 5 months of winter coming keep up the good work.

033E6F2B-B0DE-4DE0-9045-436B68A26437.jpeg

I have been modifying this car since I bought it in 77
I wouldn't know what original is anymore

I do appreciate the level of work that goes into a platinum restoration
but it's just not for me

IMG_20220102_171756134.jpg

DSC01025 (Large).JPG

Your fan shroud doesn't look like a 66 a nitpick. See if it has a screw on plate lower hose. If you ever have it off part number is on inside 2578715. It's 66 only as are so many parts.
sh3.jpg
sh 4.jpg

Your fan shroud doesn't look like a 66 a nitpick. See if it has a screw on plate lower hose. If you ever have it off part number is on inside 2578715. It's 66 only as are so many parts.View attachment 1536964View attachment 1536961
It does have the screw on metal plate at the bottom. I looked it up and searched for it at Carlisle 12 years ago. Supposedly the same 26" shroud used on the 426 Hemi.

Before I owned my Satellite the radiator, shroud ,hood ornament, and the 2 afb's were stolen. The radiator and shroud I was pretty lucky, at a swap meet picked up both 2 different vendors. Not so luck or as cheap on the ornament $300, carbs $900 each.

Your engine compartment looks absolutely amazing. I’m in the process right now redoing my vintage air because they sent me the wrong hoses and I mounted them on the top. Im laying the compressor on its side and buying the correct hoses to clean it up a tad and remounting the compressor to where I can run 2 v-belts on my alternator. Going to try and find a battery cover also.
A6F89360-E755-44C5-9A02-C484ECB8A4E3.jpeg

Your engine compartment looks absolutely amazing. I’m in the process right now redoing my vintage air because they sent me the wrong hoses and I mounted them on the top. Im laying the compressor on its side and buying the correct hoses to clean it up a tad and remounting the compressor to where I can run 2 v-belts on my alternator. Going to try and find a battery cover also.
View attachment 1537018
Believe it or not, mine is a Napa Battery (it's not a cover). I just made it look like an original.

Believe it or not, mine is a Napa Battery (it's not a cover). I just made it look like an original.
You did a hell of a job on it. I need to find something to cover up this yellow battery. I run so much aftermarket stuff I have to have it.

You did a hell of a job on it. I need to find something to cover up this yellow battery. I run so much aftermarket stuff I have to have it.
The good thing about a Napa battery is they are smooth on all sides. Peel off the blue Napa stickers and you have a blank canvas. Order cheap Mopar battery stickers and caps online and walla --- you have an old group 27 red cap battery. Mopar Battery S27M red (1966-74) Push in Caps kit - WESKCAR

Very nice treatments gentlemen! I'm definitely one who thinks you should make it your own! I love it when you let me help.

IMG_3441.jpg

FB_IMG_1694022041034.jpg
IMG_20230917_092300.jpg
IMG_20230829_142039.jpg
FB_IMG_1695145358337.jpg
IMG_20230917_091505.jpg
FB_IMG_1694022057696.jpg
FB_IMG_1693924186678.jpg
FB_IMG_1693609734230.jpg

I think it looks great.
I would suggest changing to a dual master cylinder.

It looks great under the hood, despite the deviation from 100% factory appearance. When I gave the GTX engine compartment a rehab last winter a lot of time was spent scouring pictures of survivor cars, restoration oriented tech articles and asking stupid questions on FBBO. The wealth of knowledge and members willingness to share was a tremendous help. Reprinted factory assembly manuals were also very helpful.

IMG_4285.jpeg

These engine bays look awesome! 100% factory correct is overrated in my opinion. Let the flaming begin!
:up::lol:

Auto Transport Service
Back