• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine died while driving

Darth Ooten

Local time
3:40 AM
Reaction score
I need some diagnostic help. I was out for a drive today made several stops car was operating great. On the way home opened it up a little ran it up to about 5500rpm in 2nd shifted to 3rd back to 5500rpm and let off. The car started sputtering and quit. Checked under hood everything is still connected. Nothing obviously wrong. Held the gas on the floor cranked it a couple times and it started but won't stay running. Managed to keep the rpms up and limp 2 blocks home. The engine smoothed out slightly over 3k but still rough and the second my foot comes off the accelerator it quits. Windows in carb bowls shows the right fuel level. In line fuel pressure gauge shows pressure while cranking.

440 750 brawler carb vacuum secondary
Msd distributor and 6al box
Holley mechanical fuel pump

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Or debris/rust in the carb?
It sounds like a low speed carb circuit problem.
Smoothing out at higher rpm is a good sign that likely you're good mechanically.

Or debris/rust in the carb?
It sounds like a low speed carb circuit problem.
Smoothing out at higher rpm is a good sign that likely you're good mechanically.
Brand new carb, fuel in the filter appears clean. I'm at a loss, it's just bizarre.

I've had a little fleck of rubber line get lodged in a jet before. It doesn't take much.

Thanks guys. The problem is definitely in the carb. I swapped it for a spare edelbrock I had sitting around. Primed it and it fired right up. Don't think it's going to run very well with a 500cfm carb haha but at least it was a quick verification of the issue. I appreciate the advice.

My 383 was pretty potent with a 500 cfm at mid range.

Auto Transport Service
Back