• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine Displacement

dart6

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:20 PM
Reaction score
I've got a RR with a 440 stroker that was purchased from a deceased estate without paperwork for the engine build. I've had a few 440s and this is definitely stroked.
Is there a way to determine the displacement with the engine in the car through the spark plug.

No....you'll need to measure the bore and stroke.

Yeah, check the piston travel, but you still wouldn't know the bore size. 440 is 4.320 standard bore.

You might see a 030 or a 060 on the top of a piston with a boroscope?
But piston travel is the biggest thing anyway as far as the number.
Or you just badge it as a 383 and claim it's the fastest 383 ever.

No....you'll need to measure the bore and stroke.
I thought that racetracks have a way to measure volume in a cylinder on vehicles that are suspected of using an engine with more cubic inches than allowed in the class. "Down Volume" seems to ring a bell.
This is a circle track thing...

You might see a 030 or a 060 on the top of a piston with a boroscope?
But piston travel is the biggest thing anyway as far as the number.
Or you just badge it as a 383 and claim it's the fastest 383 ever.
...just be careful you don't run across a 383 that spanks you :lol:

I thought that racetracks have a way to measure volume in a cylinder on vehicles that are suspected of using an engine with more cubic inches than allowed in the class. "Down Volume" seems to ring a bell.
Yes there is a tool to check cubic inches through the spark plug hole. Doesn't seem to be a common thing. And probably expensive.

"they are going to pump his cylinder and see what cubic inches he is running"

One would think a tool with laser measuring capability could do this?

Just thinking out loud.

It does'nt have to be expensive................. it could be done with graduated cylinder. The trick would be to jack the car up to the point where the piston is close to level.

Just set it to TDC, and dump WD-40 or similar out of a graduated cylinder till the chamber is full...measure the amount you put in. Thats the chamber volume....now put the piston at BDC by turning the crank 180 degrees. Now add more wd-40 till its full again... the amount you just added is your displacement divided by eight.

Honestly, I dont think you'd get an accurate chamber volume that way, but I do think the displacement would come out right on the nose.

Sanctioning race associations would use the tool that pnora posted to check engine size of competitors. In the beginning, track officials would pump the number one cylinder and cheaters began to run 7 illegal cylinders and keep #1 legal.
Soon it changed to random cylinder testing......

I've got a RR with a 440 stroker that was purchased from a deceased estate without paperwork for the engine build. I've had a few 440s and this is definitely stroked.
Is there a way to determine the displacement with the engine in the car through the spark plug.

back in the day ,if someone paid the $ , they would p-g your engine to check the size of it , I never had anyone protest me ,and never saw it done .
haven`t heard of it in yrs. either...

Yes there is a tool to check cubic inches through the spark plug hole. Doesn't seem to be a common thing. And probably expensive.

"they are going to pump his cylinder and see what cubic inches he is running"

Tool measures cylinder volume. You remove rockers and set piston at bottom dead center. When the piston is moved up the tool calculates the volume of air. Cubic Inch Tester 500″/670″/800″ | Precision Measurement Supply

Well I'll be dammm....I knew there was "something" they did in racing but I didn't know it could be that simple. Of course....that's a lot of coin!
Well OP there you go, buy that and let us know whatcha got!

Well I'll be dammm....I knew there was "something" they did in racing but I didn't know it could be that simple. Of course....that's a lot of coin!
Well OP there you go, buy that and let us know whatcha got!
:rofl:

Auto Transport Service
Back