• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

engine failure cause

djais1801

Local time
1:39 PM
Reaction score
So it turns out that when my harmonic balancer went bad, the bolt holes were worn, so the bolts weren't staying in, caused the spun bearing in the main cap. The connecting rods were not damaged.
I was able to find a 400 block for $200 which is better than having my block repaired.
Still gonna run me $3000+ to get her fixed...ughhh

The engine builder said that the exhaust valves on the heads were all corroded/pitted. I am wondering if the previous owner used a marine engine? what could cause pitting/corosion in the exhaust valves?
Anyway...I should have the engine back this week and it will be put back in next week.

Maybe cracked head gasket and anti freeze in the combustion chamber... But I sincerely doubt that would be the case for ALL the exhaust valves...

An engine that sat a while in humid conditions with no exhaust on at all. Intake may be stuffed with rags, but no-one does the exhaust.

Auto Transport Service
Back