• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine Oil Leak

67 GTX

Local time
2:48 PM
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

My 440 sprung a leak recently. I believe that the balancer seal on my timing cover is the culprit to my oil leak issue. The leak is definitely from the front of the engine, and the fuel pump and fuel rod plug are dry. Oil is also being flung around the front of the car, mainly towards the passenger side, which leads me to believe that it is the balancer seal. I'll inspect again later today to confirm for sure.

The seal is relatively new (3 years) and only about 1500 miles on it. It appears to have started leaking bad only recently. I've heard of metal sleeve (attached in the pic) that is made for a situation like this? It slides over the balancer to make it tighter against the seal. Has anyone used it/has any feedback on this situation?

Thanks in advance!

IMG_0150.JPG

Yes you can use that.Some come with a tool to ease installation.(They make them for the rear axle yoke too) Make sure your oil slinger is in place on the crank between the timing chain and the seal.Some have them,some don't. It is best to use one to keep excess oil away from seal.

pulling timing cover,make sure of the 'oil slinger' being in proper position.

The oil slinger can only go on one way correct? If it were to be installed the other way, it would get swallowed up by the timing chain.

I do have it installed. The seal was fine, and it was only until recently that this leak started.

Works fine, it installed correctly. The newer repair sleeves don't come with Lock-Tite anymore. Install dry and make sure you drive it on straight. Take your time as it is thin, and will stretch, creating a bulge in the sleeve.

Pioneer: HB-2122
Micro-Sleeve: MS224 Install Tool: MST223
Fel-Pro: 16201

I'm thinking the replacement seal needs to be sized accordingly a tad bigger to compensate for the sleeve? If ur balancer has no groove in it a stock seal shud work.

It is so sad the quality of parts anymore........

Thanks guys. The seal I found isn't listed on the felpro site anymore. I'll call later to see if they can check on that. If not, I'll just order a new one.

I believe my slinger is installed properly. It doesn't make any noise and I did take care to note its orientation when I installed it a few years ago.

And I don't believe the timing cover seal is in backwards. It was fine for the longest time so that leads me to believe it was installed correctly.

Would you want the sleeve to be coated with oil so it slides around the seal easier?

Always lube the seal where it rides the crank.

Would you want the sleeve to be coated with oil so it slides around the seal easier?
I've only had to use one of those repair sleeves once. After you pull the balancer, look at the shaft (where the seal rides) for maybe a groove has worn it. Should only happen on a motor, with quite a bit of time on it. But, who knows?
Check the shaft to make sure it's round, or any kind of damage. If it's out-of-round, that sleeve is a waste of time.

If you do put the sleeve on, stick the balancer in the fridge for awhile. It will make it a little easier to get the sleeve on. Take your time. It needs to start straight, and all the way on. On the seal itself, axle grease, just a thin wipe, where the seal rides the shaft. That helps the seal get seated.

I've only had to use one of those repair sleeves once. After you pull the balancer, look at the shaft (where the seal rides) for maybe a groove has worn it. Should only happen on a motor, with quite a bit of time on it. But, who knows?
Check the shaft to make sure it's round, or any kind of damage. If it's out-of-round, that sleeve is a waste of time.

If you do put the sleeve on, stick the balancer in the fridge for awhile. It will make it a little easier to get the sleeve on. Take your time. It needs to start straight, and all the way on. On the seal itself, axle grease, just a thin wipe, where the seal rides the shaft. That helps the seal get seated.

Thanks for the good advice! I'm surprised the rubber seal wears a groove into the balancer shaft. Must have to do with the metal inner support in the seal.

I supposed I should also make sure the seal still looks ok. If that looks noticeably different as well, I doubt the sleeve will do much of anything?

Thanks for the fridge hint, that's a good idea. I guess the sleeve should completely slide onto the balancer, almost as if it is one? I've never done one of these before.

Just to really get your brain frying, there are seals out there that are designed to be put on dry- then when rotation starts a small layer of the seal is transferred to the rotating part. If u lube it first-no transfer and seal leaks right away. To my knowledge it's on semi-truck diesels, but it'll transfer to cars one of these days or already has.

Must have to do with the metal inner support in the seal.
No, not the metal seal housing, unless something is flat wrong. A rubber seal, over time can get hard, and that can start the groove in the shaft.
Look at the seal itself, once you can...needs to be installed all the way, until it's seated in the cover recess. If not, they can leak from the outer edge.

'In the fridge' bit, will only help a little, all you can get, right? Cold/cool steel will shrink a little. Those sleeves go on pretty snug...nope, won't just slip on. Start straight, and all the way, if you can. Their fairly thin, so don't get too rough...it's really not that hard to get on. Hold yer mouth right!

Heck, had a couple times, I've just dressed down the shaft, to no groove, and slapped it back on, depending on how bad it is.

Thanks for all the replies! I'm pretty sure that I've narrowed down the leak to that area, so I'll be pulling the balancer first chance I get to confirm everything.
I'll keep you guys updated.

Auto Transport Service
Back