• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine placement 63 Plymouth

cornpicker

Local time
10:48 AM
Reaction score
I recently bought a 63 Plymouth Savoy and as I'm standing in front of the car looking at the engine it seems to be crooked favoring the pass side. I know all mopar engines are offset toward the pass side but it looks like the front of the motor is further over than the rear of the engine. Is there any way I can put a different set of motor mts. in or does the K frame need switched to a 64-65 ? Thanks

Before you go through all of the trouble, I'd get in there with a measuring tape and see if it's actually crooked or an optical illusion.

You can do this by running a string from the center of the radiator core support to the center of the firewall. Then measure your carb studs on the intake. If there's any variance between the stud distances, then you've got either a crooked motor bracket, crooked mounts, or the K-member took a hit at one point. Or a combination thereof.

Check the K-member and the motor mounts.. You would be amazed at what some people did to install V-8 with what they had laying around. Could it be a /6 k-member with some alterations that were not done right? What motor is in it now?

Look at the motor mounts themselves make sure not installed wrong.

That's the way they sit. All the K-members are the same for V-8s, for mid 60's B-bodies.

0702231815.jpg

0702231816.jpg

Thanks VANDAN, I see you have one ! Mine was never hit and it was a big block from new, came out of Canton Oh. Is the 63 K frame the only one that is cocked ? I heard the 64-65 were straightened out.

Thanks VANDAN, I see you have one ! Mine was never hit and it was a big block from new, came out of Canton Oh. Is the 63 K frame the only one that is cocked ? I heard the 64-65 were straightened out.
All the same. That's why they "modified" the A990 car RS shock mounts, to get some clearance in there. The Hemis are even tighter there...

What does a max wedge piston look like ? Mine seem to have a .140 raised dome to fill the chamber of the 906 head. Do you have any pics ?

I may have some, but my engine was built some years ago. I'll look, but they may be on our desktop. We used nos MP max wedge iron heads, so they'll vary some from the 906, and the build was not quite "stock"...

So as I'm standing in front of the car looking at the empty engine bay, I know notice that the idler arm or the pitman arm do not look like they are the same length center to center. Can someone tell me what is the correct length so I can replace whatever one is not correct ? Thank you

So as I'm standing in front of the car looking at the empty engine bay, I know notice that the idler arm or the pitman arm do not look like they are the same length center to center. Can someone tell me what is the correct length so I can replace whatever one is not correct ? Thank you

Should resemble this as you look at it.

Screenshot_20240110_214123_Gallery.jpg

my 63 savoy with mildly offset engine placement, notice the difference in the location of the shock tower to the heads. also you may have to notch the k member to fit a 7 qt oil pan like i did with my milodon pan

IMG_6625.jpg

63 - 65 V-8 K frames are all the same. There is only one idler arm that fits. It has a single stud. Later K-frames use a thru bolt attachment. I notch every hot rod K-frame for pan clearance. At bare minimum the inner flange on the pass side. The mount do have some slop. You can loosen them at the K rame and jack up the low side. Then retighten. As long as the drag link is parallel to the ground you are good to go. Mant times the idler mount bracket has been welded on out of square. If so the mount eithe needs to be heated and bent or in some cases partially cut off. then correctly aligned and rewelded. I've done more than a few.
Doug

Ok, I understand that but are the "B-E-&A" pitman arms the same length ? I'm not even sure if I have the correct steering box in the car or what it's out of. That is why I want to know the center to center dimension of the early "B" pitman or idler arm. Can anyone measure and post the number please ? Thanks

Auto Transport Service
Back