• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine stalls after 30 minutes

Well....the 30 minute thing makes all the comments above make sense. You've either got an igntion component heating up and malfunctioning or fuel isn't getting where it needs to go. Do me a favor please? Next time it happens, but your hand on the carburetor and hold it there for a full 30 seconds. It does "sound" like vapor lock.

Fuel (as mentioned by others)
trash in tank that keeps blocking the pickup sock, then falling back off it when engine is off
vapor lock
fuel pump fading
fuel filter
tank not venting
dirt in needle/seat of carburetor

Ignition (as mentioned by others)
pickup
ignition box
coil

I hadn't thought about the ignition switch...hmmm.. I'd expect if the igntion switch was the problem the "time" wouldn't always be 30 minutes.....maybe doesn't happen for a week, then twice in one day....more randomly

Thanks for all the info. Just bouncing more thoughts off everyone. I've tried to find info on known 6-AL failures. Couldn't find anything like what I'm experiencing. I've thought about updating it anyway. As far as trash in fuel tank, I'd think it would starve the engine and it wouldn't run as good. Or, if the trash was floating in the tank, it would be more random.

Had similar issue 3 different times
1st my carb needed a rebuild from the ethanol it was leaking fuel into intake
2nd my mechanical fuel pump was dying and when the engine got warm it would not pump enough fuel
3rd my bulkhead connector for the ammeter melted and when hot would kill the car.
I am going with a hot short that is killing the ignition.

I had a similar issue but not as frequent way back when. It was on my old Ramcharger. It would happen when I pushed it. It turned out that the fuel filter was at least partially plugged. This was one of the 3 port metal filters with a return. Once I figured it out I replaced the stock filter with a new one that I drilled out straight through and hooked the return hose to that. After the filter, I installed a see through filter and the problem disappeared. Ever since, whenever possible, I only use filters where I can actually see the fuel in the line. They didn't make a 3 port see through filter back then.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back