• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ethanol content in pump gas

AR67GTX

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:21 AM
Reaction score
I stumbled on to this test of several gas brands and actual ethanol content and showing lowest contents seem to be Exxon-Mobil and Shell. Only problem is I don’t see a date on the study in skimming over it although there was a 2017 footnote close to the end. But, kind of interesting to look through if you’re running ethanol in your car.

http://jkswanson.com/STEM17Pres2.pdf

Page wouldn't load for me....
I know very little about the subject, but I do remember hearing that content by percentage is dynamic depending on the outside temperature.... is that no longer true??

Page wouldn't load for me....
I know very little about the subject, but I do remember hearing that content by percentage is dynamic depending on the outside temperature.... is that no longer true??
All sorts of factors in how much is in our fuels, really. Location, laws, time of year...
There's no such thing as it being the same nationwide, that's for sure.

I stumbled on to this test of several gas brands and actual ethanol content and showing lowest contents seem to be Exxon-Mobil and Shell. Only problem is I don’t see a date on the study in skimming over it although there was a 2017 footnote close to the end. But, kind of interesting to look through if you’re running ethanol in your car.

http://jkswanson.com/STEM17Pres2.pdf
Ok, now that I've studied the thing, I see it was as a sort of high school teacher project originally.
and any "research" that starts with "Ethanol is strongly supported by the public and government alike",
well, grain of salt here folks...

The link is to a PDF file, @Lefty71 - that may be why you can't pull it up - and this site won't let us
post one either, for whatever reason.

I drove tanker trucks for 25 years. My last 17 for Exxonmobil. I can tell you without a doubt the ethanol is injected into the gas when the truck is loading.

Last edited:
There is a website where you can look up ethanol-free gas near you (Pure-gas.org). I don't know how accurate it is, and it's certainly not complete, but it's a start. After searching for a "pure gas" station near me (and finding none), I just started looking at various pumps for one that didn't have the E10, E15 or E85 sticker. In the process, I would verify with the people who ran the station that their fuel was indeed ethanol free.
Turns out I do have one near me. If you do find one, you can add it to the list on the website. And like Ed said, it depends on each states laws.
Rob Wolfe in MCG has been covering this lately in his Enviromasochism column... even government studies have shown that ethanol is far worse for the environment than pure gas - and not good for our old iron either.

Last edited:
Around here-

Wawa almost always has 2-4 non-eth pumps. 90 octane.

About 1 in 6 Citgo's has a pump with non-eth. 89 octane.

Very few Sunoco's have a non-eth but some have 100/110 octane race gas.

Last edited:
There is a website where you can look up ethanol-free gas near you (Pure-gas.org).
I looked at this site....noticed right off they update how many stations are added and how many are lost each month..... big surprise 2-to-1 lost over added last month.... I looked at local stations...only one in the whole area.....all the others were marinas.

A few years ago I had to go to PA to get ethanol free gas, no stations in vicinity had ethanol free. Now I have 2 stations here on Long Island within 10-15 miles pumping ethanol free.

Funny part is premium anyways comes from refinery at non methanol 90 octane. Methanol is added to boost the octane.

Additive package whether is a brand name or generic is also injected when the truck is loading so all gas is the same until that happens.

Yep drove a tanker for a short time in the early 70's. What a wake up cal. In line at the refinery were Union 76, Atlantic Richfield and several others in the same line. I was shocked and wondered does this mean it is all the same ? I learned that fuel was being taken from different levels of the storage tank depending on if it was a generic brand or major oil co. And that the additive packages from each different oil company is what made them unique.
After all the refinery is just separating the different types of petroleum product from a base crude.
Things like gasoline were discarded in the early days when oil was just used for lighting and lubrication and gas was considered a by product with little use. No gasoline engines back then.
Stickers on pumps usually say "up to "whatever percent of ethanol is in the fuel.

How many small engine carbs are ruined by that ****. After leaving that gas in a carb you have to buy a new one for your lawn mower, gas power washer, snow blower or anything else gas motivated. Good thing there only about $25 for anew carb.

I tried that resource for ethanol free fuel in california, and...... all it could give me was offroad race gas suppliers.
Turns out, ethanol isn't LEGALLY required, but oxygenated gas IS, and ethanol is how the oil companies oxygenated gas.
I also read somewhere that the ethanol limit allowed is going up from 10% to 15%. So, crappier gas, and less food......

The study that I read awhile back was that even though the stickers on the pumps in CA state "Up to 10% Ethanol", the averages were around 6%.

I've got the opposite problem, I would love to have an E85 station near me, but there isn't a single one in my state. It's a 55 mile trip each way into the next state to get it.

Surprising, we seem to have them all over around here.

I've never seen E85 in FL.

I don’t know what the problem is with ethanol in gas? I’ve been using it it cars and small engines since 1990. I can’t say I’ve had one part or engine failure do to ethanol.
I’m like gentleman above I wish it was easier to find E85. I’d set the 68 up to burn it exclusively.

Strange - we have 3 stations with E85 within 2 miles of my home here in central AR. I think around $3/gallon and about 60 - 70% of the mileage you will get on E10.

Here' what we have available in different places. Most suppliers have a couple grades of E10 and one non ethanol. This place has lot's of choices.

gas pump in Holstein.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back