• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ethanol content in pump gas

I've got the opposite problem, I would love to have an E85 station near me, but there isn't a single one in my state. It's a 55 mile trip each way into the next state to get it.
Surprising, we seem to have them all over around here.
Strangely enough, I didn't know it was available in my neighborhood in california, till I drove a friend's race car that was using it. He told me where he got it, and ir was right down the street.
If I remember right, it was under $2, but unless it was needed for the octane in a high compression engine (it was in his car!) it wasn't enough cheaper than gasoline to make it worth while.
My friend with a flex fuel expedition is using it. I don't know what her mileage is.
I noticed the price here yesterday. E85 is $4, 91 is $6.50, diesel is $7.

newerStrangely enough, I didn't know it was available in my neighborhood in california, till I drove a friend's race car that was using it. He told me where he got it, and ir was right down the street.
If I remember right, it was under $2, but unless it was needed for the octane in a high compression engine (it was in his car!) it wasn't enough cheaper than gasoline to make it worth while.
My friend with a flex fuel expedition is using it. I don't know what her mileage is.
I noticed the price here yesterday. E85 is $4, 91 is $6.50, diesel is $7.
It is all relative. E85 get's poor mileage but is cheaper by the gallon. My wife drives a newer Buick Envision with the turbo 2 liter. They recommend premium fuel. It does run better and get's better mileage with it by a few miles per gallon but i haven't done the math to see whether it pays to run the good stuff.

It is all relative. E85 get's poor mileage but is cheaper by the gallon. My wife drives a newer Buick Envision with the turbo 2 liter. They recommend premium fuel. It does run better and get's better mileage with it by a few miles per gallon but i haven't done the math to see whether it pays to run the good stuff.
In theory (!) E85 has about 1/3 less energy, so should get 1/3 less mileage. So theoretically, if it's 2/3 the price of the gasoline you are supposed to use, you'll be ahead. With regular here at $6 and E85 at $4, it's probably a wash, but a $100 fillup instead of a $150 !
I really like the octane and low price of E85 for a high compression race engine or power adders, compared to race gas.

In theory (!) E85 has about 1/3 less energy, so should get 1/3 less mileage. So theoretically, if it's 2/3 the price of the gasoline you are supposed to use, you'll be ahead. With regular here at $6 and E85 at $4, it's probably a wash, but a $100 fillup instead of a $150 !
I really like the octane and low price of E85 for a high compression race engine or power adders, compared to race gas.
You do get less mileage, 25-30% less. It really doesn't like to detonate, and it makes for very cold intake charges due to the alcohol. My friend made 1,300 HP on a non intercooled single turbo car, so I set my first turbo car up the same way. I like the stuff, just not the drive to get it. It was also $2 a gallon 2 years ago, $4.30 last week.

You do get less mileage, 25-30% less. It really doesn't like to detonate, and it makes for very cold intake charges due to the alcohol. My friend made 1,300 HP on a non intercooled single turbo car, so I set my first turbo car up the same way. I like the stuff, just not the drive to get it. It was also $2 a gallon 2 years ago, $4.30 last week.
Alcohol? Vodka and bourbon are going up too. Good thong I have a stockpile.

Time to buy a barrel full, to make the trip worthwhile.
I've got a buddy that makes about the same power as your friend, with a non intercooled single turbo stroker LS, on E90. (Gonna be his slow, small tire car).

I buy 2 barrels full every time I go over, as thats all the law allows you to transport. I don't really drive the car that much, and I'm sure I will need to make another trip to get through the summer. It's a pretty good hit to the wallet just to putt around in an old car.

Auto Transport Service
Back