• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Exhaust Manifold removal

I like the idea of the hole saw. Get one that the inner diameter just fits over a 3/8" bolt. Stick it down the hole and work slowly. I've cut swedged wheel studs this way. It worked very well.
Doug
motor is in the car. No room to get a drill in there.

If your positive those are nuts in there , we can’t see that with your pictures , anyways I would bee grinding the OUTSIDE diameter of any or all cheap sockets that would bee close to 9/16" inside diameter

If that doesnt work , onto plan BEE

God Bless your wife - Hope everything went well

Last edited:
i can't believe they are nuts, how could they have tighten them. i think the stock long hold down bolts broke off trying to take them off. most of the time the head studs snap off in the heads.

On my buddys GTX they were in fact nuts. How they got tightened is the question. But I know for a fact they were nuts. As mentioned before i thinned out a socket to almost paper thin. Also made a socket with like reverse cut teeth in it hoping it would catch the nut and unscrew it. That failed too. There just isn't any room with the engine in the car. I don't like to give up on stuff but told him to take it somewhere else because I would have to pull the engine if I continued to work on it. He took it somewhere else and they pulled the engine. lol this is what the second socket looked like sort of.

socket.png

Last edited:
On my buddys GTX they were in fact nuts. How they got tightened is the question. But I know for a fact they were nuts. As mentioned before i thinned out a socket to almost paper thin. Also made a socket with like reverse cut teeth in it hoping it would catch the nut and unscrew it. That failed too. There just isn't any room with the engine in the car. I don't like to give up on stuff but told him to take it somewhere else because I would have to pull the engine if I continued to work on it. He took it somewhere else and they pulled the engine. lol this is what the second socket looked like sort of.

View attachment 1603063
I thinned out a socket as well to the point it fit down into the hole and onto the nut. As soon I turned it the socket broke. Wall was so thin.

i can't believe they are nuts, how could they have tighten them. i think the stock long hold down bolts broke off trying to take them off. most of the time the head studs snap off in the heads.
All 3 broke? I could believe 1 or 2 but not all 3 at one time. Wish I knew what they did.

All 3 broke? I could believe 1 or 2 but not all 3 at one time. Wish I knew what they did.
I can't make out any corners just ragged edges that's why I thought that. either way it is still a problem.

We used to have a set of left hand drill bits when I worked at the JD dealer for occasions just like this. Sometimes when drilling the bit would catch the stud and unscrew it for you. Good luck.

Thin down a rocket socket?

Auto Transport Service
Back