• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Exhaust Manifold removal

1967 satellite

Local time
4:59 AM
Reaction score
I'm trying to remove my exhaust manifolds to send them out for ceramic coating. How do I remove the 2 bolts that are in the water jacket holes on the manifold?
Is there a special tool or is it a 9/16" socket grinded down to fit in the opening?
Many thanks

You’re not very clear on what you are asking.

Big block?
What year?
Which two?

Factory original there were only studs with nuts. No bolts.

Last edited:
I'm trying to remove my exhaust manifolds to send them out for ceramic coating. How do I remove the 2 bolts that are in the water jacket holes on the manifold?
Is there a special tool or is it a 9/16" socket grinded down to fit in the opening?
Many thanks
It kinda sounds like someone has use nuts on the studs where the extended nuts were supposed to be used. Just spit balling

You’re not very clear on what you are asking.

Big block?
What year?
Which two?

Factory original there were only studs with nuts. No bolts.
How do I get to the nuts? A socket will not fit in the hole unless I grind down the diameter of the socket. Am I suppose to do this ??

It sounds like someone previously had things apart and didn’t use the extended nuts to put it back together. It might require a thin wall socket…

Most likely there is nothing in those holes. Broken or stripped studs, hence no tube nuts.

Just an idea.... you may have some luck by getting a 1/4" drive breaker bar and using a 9/16" thin wall 6 point socket. Probably won't come if the stud is rusty...... but you may try heating the nut with either Mapp gas or torch if you have one. Once heated, you could douse it with water to shock it loose.

As the car came from the factory……. No special tools were required to remove the manifolds.
If you need something other than a normal socket to remove the nuts holding the manifold to the head, something has changed from the way it left the factory.

If you want better answers, your best bet is to provide pics of what the problem is.

It kinda sounds like someone has use nuts on the studs where the extended nuts were supposed to be used. Just spit balling
I ran into this same problem on my buddys GTX someone put nuts down in the holes. I milled a socket so thin it was like paper and still couldn't get them loose. Probably could have gotten them out If the engine was out of the car. Its amazing how being 35.00 too cheap to buy the right bolts will make your life a living hell.

I have car that someone use Allen head bolts down in those holes.

Get a light and a mirror and see what down in those holes.

And the saga continues.....
Hoping you get it figured out.
I agree, someone put the wrong fasteners in those holes.

You could use the proper extended nuts and drive them in against the others. They may jam tight and "double nut" themselves and then remove the stud. Or you could add some form of adhesive to help them join to the nut and the stud.
Just thinking outside the box.

We still don’t know what he’s dealing with. No details, no pictures, no simple investigative work. Is it a bolt like he said? is it a nut?, is there any stud sticking beyond the nut? We could assume that it’s the two between #6 and #8, and he’s got limited access. There is always a way. Just cannot help a guy that won’t help himself.

Auto Transport Service
Back