• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Exterior Door handles

beeguy

Banned
Banned
Local time
7:28 PM
Reaction score
I got a set of new Mopar outside door handles for my '70 Bee, they fit like crap.

Is there any brand of repop that fits proper? maybe they're all made by the same outfit? I may have to try to find a mint condition set of originals or something because thse aren't going to cut it.

They were available from the dealer for some time. May still be.....if ya have a part number

These were in Mopar bags so I'm guessing that's the way they all were? maybe there were different runs or something.

The contour where it fits the door shell, it's a joke there's a gap at the bottom you could poke a penny in. I tried them on a Charger too since I thought maybe they had a different door shape, same thing.

Yep, there's not enough curve so when you tighten the nut a gap shows up on the bottom. I'll admit I'm fussy but it's pretty bad.

How about re-chroming the originals ? I know plating is a little salty these days, but at least you'll know they fit.

This is a great topic area as I am sure we are all looking at reproduction stuff these days for our Mopars. I have been lucky so far with a couple repro pieces but we could save ourselves a lot of grief by sharing experiences...

Here's what I found wrong with the new Mopar handles......

handlemechanism.jpg

The arm where the linkage rod connects on the new mechanism (left) sits lower than the original on the right. This means you have to pull the rod down to clip it in the mechanism. This 1/8" doesn't allow the lock to fully engage and screws up the entire works.

You can either use the originals, which is what I did. Or you can cut off the extra metal on the new ones that pushes the mechanism lower. I don't know if it's the same on all body styles, but at least on my A body, this is what happened.

PLUS, when I went to install the first handle, I realized Mopar had the right mechanism on the left handle and the left mechanism on the right handle.... right out of the box

Here's what I found wrong with the new Mopar handles......

handlemechanism.jpg

The arm where the linkage rod connects on the new mechanism (left) sits lower than the original on the right. This means you have to pull the rod down to clip it in the mechanism. This 1/8" doesn't allow the lock to fully engage and screws up the entire works.

You can either use the originals, which is what I did. Or you can cut off the extra metal on the new ones that pushes the mechanism lower. I don't know if it's the same on all body styles, but at least on my A body, this is what happened.

PLUS, when I went to install the first handle, I realized Mopar had the right mechanism on the left handle and the left mechanism on the right handle.... right out of the box

Good catch :yes:

Auto Transport Service
Back