• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Factory brake upgrades for 65 coronet

Red Cricket

Local time
7:51 PM
Reaction score
G day all, I have a 65 Coronet and Just wondering if there are any good options for brake upgrade using factory stuff from other models. There are always aftermarket packages. Thanks RC

Go to the Mopar Action site, in the tech archives, look up "Disc O Tech". Great way to do it if donor cars are around you can pick pieces off of. From there, try Dr. Diff.

If you are talking about 10''drums to discs or if you want bigger drum brakes,,,,,
Drum brakes from the 1967 Coronet R/T or GTX came in 11x3'' (Others such as the A-12 cars did too)Finding good drums may be a problem but they are out there.
Discs . You can find from the 75-78 Chrysler Cordoba that had optional 12'' front disc brakes. Realistic they were 11 3/4'' I believe.Most just call them 12''.
That way you would be using all factory parts to get bigger and better brakes.
As you stated most others are after market that are basic 1973 up 10'' disc kits or mega expensive kits such as Baer Brakes, Willwood and others.
Me,I would check with Dr.Diff and see if he has something to fit the bill,maybe what you are looking to do.

I used complete loaded spindles from an 87 Diplomat...parts are cheap and so are the replacement parts when you need them...

I used complete loaded spindles from an 87 Diplomat...parts are cheap and so are the replacement parts when you need them...
Is this using your stock upper and lower control arms?
Ed

Is this using your stock upper and lower control arms?
Ed
Yes Ed you can use the spindles from the Diplomat and bolt them to the early B upper and lower control arms.
Usually you can reuse the lower ball joint of the early B without a problem.Or buy new for a 72/3 B body that came with discs brakes.
I believe around 74 the lower ball joint was separate from the steering arm.

Problem with M/A Disc-O-Tec is the price of caliper brackets price. I did it 20 years ago $500/$600. Called junkyards in Wi, Minnesota and asked if they had the Make/model of cars that had caliper brackets. Sent them a picture of both C/B's and mark the pair I wanted. Should have asked for the bolts and pins, just in case.
disc 4.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back