• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Factory style electronic ignition ECU with a rev limiter?

I've gone past 6000 a few times but not past 6200. The gauges are all in the cluster in a factory style arrangement.
I'm like a little kid sometimes. I get excited and lose my wits for a moment when I'm in the heat of the moment.
It is like that with other matters too. I'm having such a good time, I sometimes forget to stick to the plan.
You better use a rev limiter then lol.....and probably wouldn't hurt to use a condom too :D

I like the fbo set up in my car , runs beautifully with the firecore distributor.
Like the rev limiter..

You better use a rev limiter then lol.....and probably wouldn't hurt to use a condom too :D
Ha ha....I tried real hard to get that point across without being too graphic but that is exactly what I meant. I sometimes lose my wits when I am having fun.

The FBO box is a good one for a stock-style setup. A bit pricey too but has an adjustable rev limiter, and it definitely works! It matches up with the Pertronix flamethrower coil and you can eliminate the ballast resistor.
Does this unit plug into the Mopar electronic ignition wiring?

That may work. I would like to know if their system is compatible with vacuum advance. I know that this isn't a commuter car but it would be nice to be able to have that option.
I currently have a MP electronic distributor that Rick Ehrenberg says is " worthless" due to it having light advance weights which cause excessive spark scatter. I've toyed with the prospect of buying a remanufactured stock 72-78 440 electronic distributor and modifying it for less total advance. This would allow me the reliability of a factory design while making it easy to fix or replace if it fails while out on a road trip.

That may work. I would like to know if their system is compatible with vacuum advance. I know that this isn't a commuter car but it would be nice to be able to have that option.
I currently have a MP electronic distributor that Rick Ehrenberg says is " worthless" due to it having light advance weights which cause excessive spark scatter. I've toyed with the prospect of buying a remanufactured stock 72-78 440 electronic distributor and modifying it for less total advance. This would allow me the reliability of a factory design while making it easy to fix or replace if it fails while out on a road trip.

Does this unit plug into the Mopar electronic ignition wiring?

Yup it plugs right in. I've used the FBO unit for a few years and they work very well. No issues with either method of vacuum advance (I run ported on mine). They do want you to bypass the ballast (real easy as you know) and match it with the Pertronix Flamethrower coil.

Yes, FBO simple module replacement, remove resistor or bypass, and the correct resistance coil. I use a stock aluminum based vac adv dist with the screw lock down mech adv limiter in the plate on my street/strip Dart (Mallory version?). This the simplest rev limiter set up, and in-stock to buy, I got another one last week.

On my 4spd GTX I have the Pertronix III conversion in the old cast iron dual point housing so it looks more stock. This one was less simpler, as it took about about a day of modification, as I didn't like the Pertronix recommended installation as it seemed the breaker plate was too floppy, so installed stabilizer screws.

I believe it was cheaper to order directly from him iirc.
I only quoted this guy because I think his screen name is funny. I installed an FBO box sent to me by a member. It runs the same but. It has a rev limiter. I still have to set it.

We ran the FBO unit this last summer all season long at the track without issue. When I let my young friend run the car he hit the limiter during the burn out a couple runs. I know that for sure, because I have the limiter set higher than the trap speed rpm and I also have a Summit memory recall unit so it tattles on him after the run. Thumbs up for both these wonders of modern technology.

By the way, you will have to PM me your address if you want that spare main seal housing.

Auto Transport Service
Back