• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Favorite Thanksgiving/Christmas Dinner Side Dish Recipes

ocdart

Local time
10:11 AM
Reaction score
We all know that either a turkey, ham, or rib roast is usually the highlight of our Thanksgiving and Christmas Holiday family dinners, and we each have our preferred method of cooking it.
I don't know if this topic has been posted before (probably has), but here's a spot to share our favorite side dish recipe.
It will be great to see what's most popular from all parts of the country.
I'll start it off with these two:

I found this recipe about 20 years ago and it's been a staple ever since. Now my kids are hosting the holiday dinners but they still ask dad to bring the yams. Oh yeah, the last ingredient listed is my own addition.
DAD'S YUMMY YAMS

2½-3 lb. orange-fleshed sweet potatoes (yams)
7-8 oz. cream cheese
1 egg
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
¼ tsp. ground coriander
¼ tsp. grated nutmeg
salt and black pepper
½ cup peach, apricot or pineapple preserves
½ cup coarsely chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)
50 Ml (1.7 ounces or 3.5 tbsp.) Southern Comfort (optional) – this is an “airline” bottle amount

• preheat the oven to 375°
  • Scrub the potatoes and prick them in several places. Bake, on a baking sheet, for 1-1½ hours or until tender
  • When cool enough to handle, peel the potatoes and put them into a mixing bowl. Add the cream cheese, egg, spices, and salt and pepper to taste. Whip with an electric beater until smooth and fluffy. Spoon into a buttered baking dish and smooth over the top.
  • Warm the preserves until melted, then stir in the nuts (if desired). Spread over the potato mixture.
  • Bake 20 minutes, and serve hot

I can't claim this one either. I just found this recipe and it's unbelievably easy and delicious
SLOWCOOKER CREAM CORN
2 lb. frozen corn
8 oz. cream cheese cut in pieces
1 cup milk
½ cup heavy cream
¼ cup (½ stick) unsalted butter
3 tbsp. granulated sugar
1 tsp. kosher salt

• Combine ingredients in slow cooker. Stir to combine.
  • Cover and cook on low for 4 hours
  • At 3 hours it will completely come together. Allow to cook for the full 4 hours for best results.
  • Add black pepper to taste
  • Serve and enjoy

Note: Creamed corn will thicken as it sits. You may wish to add a little milk if you would like it to sit in the slow cooker longer.

Now let's see your favorites

Pork chops & creamed corn slow cooked together in crock pot. Pan fry the chops some before combining.....shoot from the hip to season to personal taste.....sometimes a touch of unbleached flour to thicken. Excellent in concert w/ good stuffing, homemade mashed potatoes & white gravy.

Are you folks brining the bird? We do, starting the night before, and it really makes a moist turkey.
Mike

In addition to her famous "beer ham" (with Sam Addams this year), my wife made cinnamon, ginger, cayenne, agave glazed pretzels and pecans.

Auto Transport Service
Back