• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FC7 1970 Plymouth GTX in New Zealand

kiwigtx

Henchman #4 and Jack-Stand Racer #2
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:37 AM
Reaction score
Yep, one of only 2 genuine '70 GTX's in New Zealand. This car has been here since 1974, and is a record holder over the 1/4 mile, as well as collector of many car show trophies. I started out with this car in 1997, and only intended to fix up the brakes and exhaust.....famous last words I hear you say. :eek:

Full on restoration followed, and after 3 years it debuted at our National Concours D'Elegance show. Finished up 4th by a slim margin to the winner. Gathered valuable knowledge and mucho praiso from fellow V8 minded enthusiasts, also managed a tie for best paint in show with a brand new Porsche...how that works I'm not sure.

Factory optioned with; 440, 4BBL, FC7 paint, Air Grabber, Rallye wheels, vinyl roof, power steering cooler, drivers Rallye mirror, buckets & console, black side stripes, AM/8-track, window tints etc

I tracked down (with the assistance of Galen Govier) the original dealership that sold the car from new. I wrote to them and was sent copies of the original sales order & invoice, plus a cool letter from the Grandson of the original salesman who runs the business to this day. Using a bit of ingenuity and a small pinch of luck, I tracked down the original purchaser, and he could not believe the car was still around and doing well. I'm sure he thought it was a crank call...but I got some useful info from the conversation. I have since met or have always known the remaining previous owners.

Anyhoo...you guys want pics not gabble....

GTX3_zps1071000c.jpg

GTX2_zps6522a4c2.jpg

DSC00355_zps33ff0541.jpg

f0ec6f82_zpsc9fa1fca.jpg

made it to the Cover shot of our local HotRod mag... (first time ever it has not been a full car)
HotRodcover_zps81c627d2.jpg

HotRodarticle_zpsc01c554b.jpg

I have another toy as well - can be seen on fortrucksonly site......

3821fd10_zpsc9507d8d.jpg

89726d10_zps280fa23c.jpg

Great looking car. I like the purple with black. Seems like most of the purple cars by me have a white top.

Welcome bud,,nice rides wow..i like the poverty caps on that truck...God Bless.Bear R.-

Great looking car. I like the purple with black. Seems like most of the purple cars by me have a white top.

Thanks for the welcome .... everyone... just curious on how rare this driver's side Rallye mirror actually is? I have only ever seen one other car with the same mirror from the 15 years or so I have been searching for images.

They weren't' available until late in 70 B body run .. seems like jan or later 1970 IIR

Welcome aboard !!

Hello kiwigtx. Beautiful car! Just outstanding. I like your music choice as well. :)

Feel free to send along a few more pictures whenever you feel the need!

They weren't' available until late in 70 B body run .. seems like jan or later 1970 IIR

Welcome aboard !!

That stacks up, thanks - car build date was May 27. Also has the late model trunk lid with holes for a Gull-Wing

Welcome. The more I think about it, it seems like maybe not even available until April of 70. So not many got them. Hopefully 69Coronetrt (sp?) or someone else will pop up with the answer.

Can you show a photo that has a clear picture of the mirror from the side view and from the front drivers side?

Welcome. The more I think about it, it seems like maybe not even available until April of 70. So not many got them. Hopefully 69Coronetrt (sp?) or someone else will pop up with the answer.

Can you show a photo that has a clear picture of the mirror from the side view and from the front drivers side?

DSC01601_zps8d4cbaee.jpg

DSC01600_zps4eba69dd.jpg

DSC01599_zpsc7fa472c.jpg

DSC01597_zps1f009e9b.jpg

DSC01594_zps5f018b5a.jpg

DSC01592_zps7136324b.jpg

DSC01591_zps43a8bf20.jpg

Hope they are useful :hello2:

IMG_2690 (Large).jpgIMG_2975.jpgIMG_2979.jpgWelcome and very nice GTX.
I own a similar car myself that has a build date of 6/23/70.
Mine only came with the driver side manual mirror but I've since upgraded to left and right remote style.
Best of luck with your ride and great back round story!

Thanks....I had to look twice at those pics :hello2:
Almost like twins. Very nice GTX you have - and some great reference shots, Cheers.

Thanks for the pictures, kiwigtx. I like the look. Even if my '70 didn't come with them, I may have to change over. Wonder if they were GTX only, or if road runners could get them too.

I think body colour would be good too.

The mirror looks just the same as one from 'Cuda or Challenger - its the pedestal that is unique.

Thanks for the pictures, kiwigtx. I like the look. Even if my '70 didn't come with them, I may have to change over. Wonder if they were GTX only, or if road runners could get them too.

I think body colour would be good too.

They were available on RR's also and probably any b-body but someone else can answer the the probably part.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Kiwi .. very nice car and the mirror looks great.

BTW they were available in painted also

Auto Transport Service
Back