• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Feedback on my combo.

The shop doing the work decided that since their going to be swapping cams and heads that they want to pull the motor and check all the freeze plugs and put in new gaskets on the pan. They don't want to have any leaks. I agree. So since the head's are off and the block is out I bought a set of Doug's D452 Headers. Coated 2 inch, long tubes. Just makes sense to do them now rather than later what with the labor cost here in SoCal. Fitment chart says if fits a 62 to 65 plymouth but says nothing about the dodge so we will see.

Love the car!

Im a big fan of compression in a closed chamber, quench situation. When you have the heads off, I recommend doing the math and attempt to achieve 10 to 1, maybe up to 10.5 to 1 with head milling and gaskets.

Heres a link to some thin, high quality gaskets from Cometic: RB head gaskets

Rule of thumb at 440 cubes is 40HP for every point of compression.
Before I claimed 40 HP gain I think I might check with this change of compression ratio calculator....................
HP gain with compression change.

So I guess it could make an additional 40 HP if you were starting at 4,400HP and added one point of compression.

Last edited:
I dont know what kind of power this thing might make. I would be happy to see 425 at the tires. Thats what my 6.4 SRT8 Made.

BTW 2x2 frame connectors would be a very idea. I think they could sit below all the floor pan contours and be able to add some flat stock in a few areas to get some vertical reinforcements in. I'm guessing that 425 at the tires is about 500 at the crank. You should be about there.

Last edited:
Nope, not a 40 hp increase from a 440 [ nearly 10% ] for every point increase in comp ratio. Nothing like it. In fact, the increase in power is not a linear scale. going from 8 to 10:1 CR gives more power than going from 10-12:1 CR.
8 to 9:1 is worth about a 2% increase in HP.

Someone in this thread has accomplished HUGE power output with low compression....
:thumbsup:

She's my first 440 and my retirement car. It is mostly for cruise nights and once in a while a blast down our local 1/8th mile strip.
1963 Polara H/t No Power acc. I believe it is a 3.23 in the 8 3/4 open. Block is a .030 76 motor home block with an uncut deck. Forged 2355 Flat tops with valve reliefs. I only looked thru the spark plug hole to verify and appear to be about .020 down the hole. Now parts I've bought. Isky 292 Mega cam. Same specs as Mopar 509 cam. Heads are CNC ported Stealths Up graded with 11 degree locks, keepers and dual spring package with 80cc chambers. Fel Pro .039 head gaskets. Performer RPM which I will deep port with a Holley 750 DP. Headers will be 1 7/8 . MSD Billet with 6AL2 box. This is a 98% street car and not going to get caged. I have split leafs with CalTrac bars on stock shocks so far. I'm on a fixed income so I cant throw money at it like I use to. And now I have to pay people 190 an hour to do what I use to charge 50 to do my self. Such is life in LA.

View attachment 1362993
Love those 63's and took my 1st drivers test in one. 383, headers, push button manual reverse shift automatic. Examiner wasn't impressed and I just barely passed. One weekend Dad and I were at Dick Landy's shop with the '63 and we traveled north to a drag strip with Dick, Doug Lovegrove, and Bill Golden. Great fun for a teenage kid.

One weekend Dad and I were at Dick Landy's shop with the '63 and we traveled north to a drag strip with Dick, Doug Lovegrove, and Bill Golden. Great fun for a teenage kid.
Did you know back then that you were destined to be a "Mopar legend" like those guys, for engine building?
:moparsmiley:

He said it's a "motorhome block" and everyone went sideways about trying to get compression.
No one read about the 2355 Sixpack pistons.
With the new heads, should be very decent compression.

That Isky 292 mega cam is not near as big as a MP292. They are rated differently, Isky is closer to a MP 284 than a 292, but designed for .842” lifters instead of .904”. I would expect it to work pretty well in a 10:1 440 the way it is set up, add some bigger ratio rockers down the road for those heads and let it eat…

Last edited:
That Isky 292 mega cam is not near as big as a MP292. They are rated differently, Isky is closer to a MP 284 than a 292, but designed for .842” lifters instead of .904”. I would expect it to work pretty well in a 10:1 440 the way it is set up, add some bigger ratio rockers down the road for those heads and let it eat…
Basic specs are close but no numbers on .2 .3 .4 lift/durations numbers. Should be easy on parts.

Welcome to the Mopar cam world.

Mopar cams are rated different than your Isky, and they were designed for mopars bigger .904” lifters.

The MP292 is closer to 298* rated at .006” tappet like your Isky, and 248* .050”, and the MP292 would have considerable more duration at .2” (163* verse 153*) than your Isky because the purple cam was designed for bigger lifters. The Isky is a bit smaller cam than the MP292.

The MP284 was about 291* at .006” tappet and 241*@.050”, 154*@.2”, Less lift but since it was a .904” lifter grind it is very comparible duration at .2” to your Isky 292.

yep, Isky will be easy on parts.

Last edited:

The MP 292 is not designed for Mopars larger 904 lifters. It is a Chebby lobe. Crane Chev cam #110711 has 244* @ 050 & 0.516" lift. The MP cam has 248 @ 050 & only 0.509" lift.
Crane cams did have genuine Mopar 904 cams: #680711. 244 @ 050, 0.543"lift

Auto Transport Service
Back