• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Finally, out for a twisty drive - with pics

ImScrewedd

Local time
2:43 AM
Reaction score
Last weekend marked a monumental moment for my 1968 Dodge Charger. After a hiatus in the garage, it was time to unleash this classic beauty onto the winding roads. Excitement pulsed through me as I embarked on this exhilarating journey.

As I made my way to the route's starting point, I encountered a familiar face at the gas station – a buddy with his track-ready BMW M3. His sleek machine, honed for the track, was an impressive sight. Little did I know, my Charger would soon command its fair share of attention.

IMG_3384.jpg
IMG_3377.jpg

Parked next to the BMW, the Charger became an instant focal point. Curious onlookers couldn't resist approaching, their inquiries ringing in my ears: "Are you taking this beast on the route?" With confidence, I replied in the affirmative.

IMG_3383.jpg
IMG_3379.jpg

Hitting the road, my Charger felt like an extension of myself. The upgrades in brakes and track-oriented tires proved their mettle immediately. Despite the numerous Miata's and BMW's that dotted the road, my Charger held its ground with poise and prowess.

IMG_5351.jpg
IMG_5367.jpg
IMG_3386.jpg
IMG_5372.jpg

The handling was impeccable. Tight turns and winding stretches were conquered effortlessly, a testament to the enhancements I've invested in. It was an exhilarating feeling, watching the Charger confidently maneuver through the twists and turns.

Yet, this experience has sparked a new phase in the Charger's evolution – the suspension. Contemplating the next move for this powerhouse, I find myself standing at a crossroads. The decision to upgrade the factory-style suspension or transition to a coilover setup weighs heavily on my mind. Inputs are welcome.

The Charger's destiny includes a significant engine upgrade – either a 6.4 Hemi or a Hellcat swap. This impending transformation prompts a critical consideration: which suspension setup would best complement the future power and performance of the upgraded engine?

The allure of the factory-style suspension resonates with the Charger's originality and heritage. Its authenticity adds a unique charm, reflecting the classic essence of this iconic vehicle. Conversely, the coilover setup offers adaptability and customization, potentially optimizing the Charger's dynamics for the powerhouse it's destined to become.

As I stand at this juncture, I'm eager to explore advice and insights from fellow enthusiasts and experts. Your perspective could illuminate the path forward, guiding this classic Charger toward its next chapter.

This journey has only just begun, and the excitement for what lies ahead is palpable. Stay tuned as I navigate through the choices, share thrilling experiences, and witness the evolution of this timeless automotive legend.

Thank you!

Chase

These cars can be made to hold the road well with the stock based suspension. There is no improvement to be seen from a coil over Pinto based front suspension.
Your Nitto NT-05 tires are an excellent choice for handling. I have them on my own car. Good to see another enthusiast embrace a classic car and make it a road worthy driver that looks great.

55AE8C26-321E-4B45-A2FB-05CB4079D071.jpeg

Nice story. As far as upgrades, lots of possibilities out there. Stock based but improved would be the easiest, labor and expense wise. You can be at the other end with a full frame. Most expensive. With the current state of the car, how much are you willing to cut up/off/out for the higher end upgrades? And would they be worth the expense?

Sounds to me you had a great time. :thumbsup:
I had a fantastic time. Seeing so many others prefer straight line performance or being put away for most of the year. I have made it a mission to get out and hit some corners. We live really close to circuit of the Americas track. I’m looking to schedule a date to hit that track and see how it performs.

These cars can be made to hold the road well with the stock based suspension. There is no improvement to be seen from a coil over Pinto based front suspension.
Your Nitto NT-05 tires are an excellent choice for handling. I have them on my own car. Good to see another enthusiast embrace a classic car and make it a road worthy driver that looks great.

View attachment 1572051

Good eye! Yes, I love these tires. Even some of the lighter and faster car owners were pointing out that they haven’t seen these tires on a car like mine. I thought they handled great.

Even if the car isn't as fast through the turns as a later model car, so what? The sounds of the classic V8 with dual exhaust, the unique feel and smells of an old car....There is nothing like it.
I've never been a quarter mile guy either. I like a car that can do everything well.
Good for you, man!

Even if the car isn't as fast through the turns as a later model car, so what? The sounds of the classic V8 with dual exhaust, the unique feel and smells of an old car....There is nothing like it.
I've never been a quarter mile guy either. I like a car that can do everything well.
Good for you, man!
You hit the nail right on the head! Thank you !

Good eye! Yes, I love these tires. Even some of the lighter and faster car owners were pointing out that they haven’t seen these tires on a car like mine. I thought they handled great.
I love these tires...100 treadwear is soft for great cornering and braking but the shorter sidewalls aren't the best for drag racing.
What sizes are you running?
I first had 295-45-18s in the back but swapped to 295-35-18s. My fronts have been 275-40-18s since 2003.

295.jpg
NITTO 2.jpg

I love these tires...100 treadwear is soft for great cornering and braking but the shorter sidewalls aren't the best for drag racing.
What sizes are you running?
I first had 295-45-18s in the back but swapped to 295-35-18s. My fronts have been 275-40-18s since 2003.

View attachment 1572111View attachment 1572112
I have 275/40/18 up front. I have a little rubbing but nothing crazy. The rears are 295/40/18 and fit fine.

I wanted to switch to the 295-40 for the rear but the price was unbelievably obscene! The 295-35 is a bit shorter than I'd prefer but they were $100 less per tire so I figured I'd try them. So far, I do like them.

00 B 2.JPG

I can see why your fronts rub. They are set out a little further toward the fender than mine. Yours do look good though. Your car has a great stance to it.

Bad mu fu (2).jpg

I have a 9" front wheel with 4 3/4" backspacing. Maybe yours have less backspacing?
A bit of negative camber can tilt the top of the wheel/tire in a bit for more clearance. I run almost 1 degree of NEGative camber and no...the tires do NOT wear faster on the inside edges.

Your story about the road trip is one of many reasons I'm going the route I am. Use oe based components with many structural improvements and fit as much tire/wheel as possible into it. Still a couple of years off though. Doing what I can with what I already have stocked up, keeping me busy.

Auto Transport Service
Back