• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Finally

Raymond Murray

Local time
11:40 AM
Reaction score
Hello People;
No more excuses. I purchased a 1972 Roadrunner w/GTX option, 440 Auto when I was 17 years old. Drove it for 18 months and put 13,000 miles on it. Completely disassembled the car to a body in white, planning on turning it into a race car. Life happens. Girls, College, Grad School, Career, Wife, kids and their college. 46 years later I am out of excuses why not to get to work on it. It was unwrapped and work began October 2020 (Covid Quarantine gave me my time back). Every nut, bolt and part will need to be restored, as the Buffalo, NY weather is not kind to many parts. Body is pristine though. Still have vin tag, fender option tag and build sheet. Here we go...

Welcome and nice car. Should look great when restored. :)

Welcome from Alabama, parts can be restored, fixed, or replaced. Let's see that pristine body.

Hi Raymond, :welcome: That sounds like it will be a nice project. A '72 440 GTX would have been a pretty cool car for a 17 year old to have, and still is today! Good luck with putting things back together, in less than another 46 years. :)

Welcome from your neighbor to the east down Route 20.
If you're looking for an excuse to sell it please let me know.
(just kidding)
Don't they have a pretty big car show/swapmeet in Hamburg?
We require pictures.

Welcome from NJ. Nice story and congrats on your extreme patience, but now it's Daddies Time! :D

Thanks again everyone. It was tough for a 17 year old to afford the gas. It would only run well on Sunoco 260 at a whopping 37 cents per gallon. But that is why the dealer was trying to give the car away. Arab Oil Embargo was around the corner and everybody was buying the tin cans (Vega, Pinto, etc.). The vehicle had to be sold as a "demo" because all of the salesmen were joyriding in it (they didn't pay for the gas). It had 400 miles on it. I walked in with $2,700 cash and the couldn't get it out of my hand fast enough.

Don - you are correct about the swap meet but it will be cancelled this year because of Covid.

That’s great! And I appreciate attempting to do winter work on car around Buffalo. I’ve been there, done that for a long time. I grew up there.

:welcome: from Ky. & :thankyou: for joining us. Yep, 37 cents. My brother-in-law was the Pure Oil distributor at the time. I didn't care!!:lol:

Welcome ! You are not the only one. I still have a 63 Plymouth that I raced in the mid 70's. Sat for many years,changed hands a few times between friends and came back around to me 5 years ago. Body & paint done and all the glass in.I hope to get back on it this year.Maybe we can have a competition who will get done first.:lol:

Welcome aboard Sir, from the middle of the mitten. Parts, parts, and more parts that I am still looking for and my project has only been apart a year. Have some fun with it and laugh when you can (crying just causes rust).

welcome to FBBO from NorCal Sierras

good luck with the 72 RR rustoration, after 46 years

Welcome Ray, hope your car moves along so we can get to see it soon !

Helloand Welcome from not far away in Connecticut! :welcome:. I got a friend who also has a 72 Roadrunner with GTX package so your intro got my attention, I wish you the best of luck with your resto, please keep us posted on the progress.

Hey Ray! Welcome to Da Club! I bought my "X" in 75 used and was going to build a race car too.
Life got in the way and here we are, 46 years later restoring it to it's former Glory. (You thought
you were the only one?) Ha! Welcome and good luck with the project! Yeah, no excuses now!

Auto Transport Service
Back