• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Finely broke the Ice with the car shows.

blue69runner

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:54 AM
Reaction score
So got my first trophy for this old runner. It was a fund raiser for Autism kids. Lots of trucks and a few cars. 58 chevy truck took one trophy and another one newer truck. Then a 69 ss Camaro and I got one. Top pic. So now maybe I will get a few more that the ice has been broken. LOL. Here is a pic of the Plack.
IMG_0104 (10).JPG

So got my first trophy for this old runner. It was a fund raiser for Autism kids. Lots of trucks and a few cars. 58 chevy truck took one trophy and another one newer truck. Then a 69 ss Camaro and I got one. Top pic. So now maybe I will get a few more that the ice has been broken. LOL. Here is a pic of the Plack. View attachment 1444064
Nice job and for a great cause!

I know it has 68 hood call out's on the car. This is an early production car. Figured the rad support is a 68 year and hood. If I were a car builder and selling cars would not through away 68 metals just to start the 69 line of cars. So hence forth figured this car was built in Dec. 68 before the new year of 69 to release the car for sale. What do you guy's think. It is all original metal except for outer panels. 69 hood I ordered did not fit with the latch and striker on the hood so had to order a 68 hood. So, those parts would match up.
IMG_0103 (6).JPG
IMG_0114 (2).JPG
IMG_0108 (3).JPG
IMG_0109 (4).JPG

One last thing to say. Have been to other car shows where I was a guest and not one of the members of the club. Think that has a bearing on whether you win a trophy or not. Just my thoughts on the matter.

Your car looks great, congrats on the prize ! Like posted allready, car show for a worthy cause.

Thank you all for your support. The guy's here on B bodies did help when building the car with information and looking at what others had done. Built this car in my garage by myself and all work done including the paint job. Motor work was outsourced. Did not have time to do it myself but did have to get another block due to how much my old motor needed to be bored. Not a number matching car when perched. Had 727 tans. swap. Being a four-speed car bench seat put it back to four speeds with bucket seats with floor console. I built it like I wanted it as if I ordered it that way from the factory. LOL.

Beautiful car! I never did the car show thing. My cars are “incorrect”. :D

So got my first trophy for this old runner. It was a fund raiser for Autism kids. Lots of trucks and a few cars. 58 chevy truck took one trophy and another one newer truck. Then a 69 ss Camaro and I got one. Top pic. So now maybe I will get a few more that the ice has been broken. LOL. Here is a pic of the Plack. View attachment 1444064
Congrats on breaking your 'duck'.

It's always a thrill to win a trophy......one should never go to a show expecting to win though.....that can lead to disappointment.

Personally, I have about 20 trophies stashed away in storage & gathering dust. It became embarrassing for a while. :lol:

Very nice, I wish it was mine!! Congrats on a job well done!!

It’s always nice when your hard work is appreciated by others. Congratulations…

The main question posed by lookers is how long it took to restore the car. When stating 5 years they get a funny look. LOL. No one knows how long it will take to bring a car back to life except the guy that owns it. Doing it yourself is a rewarding experience within itself. You know every nut and bolt in the car. If it comes out wrong, I can only blame myself. You will learn a lot and wonder how they turned out these cars so fast at the factory.

The main question posed by lookers is how long it took to restore the car. When stating 5 years they get a funny look. LOL. No one knows how long it will take to bring a car back to life except the guy that owns it. Doing it yourself is a rewarding experience within itself. You know every nut and bolt in the car. If it comes out wrong, I can only blame myself. You will learn a lot and wonder how they turned out these cars so fast at the factory.
I have a similar story with my project car that I am doing 95% of the work on (and learning as I go!): I've had the car for 30+ years (in a non-running state), worked on it off and on over that time and am finally beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel.
For better or for worse, it's always been low on the priority list with college, the job, the wife, the kids, and home/yard projects taking priority.
One of these days it will be done... :thumbsup:

I know it has 68 hood call out's on the car. This is an early production car. Figured the rad support is a 68 year and hood. If I were a car builder and selling cars would not through away 68 metals just to start the 69 line of cars. So hence forth figured this car was built in Dec. 68 before the new year of 69 to release the car for sale. What do you guy's think. It is all original metal except for outer panels. 69 hood I ordered did not fit with the latch and striker on the hood so had to order a 68 hood. So, those parts would match up.
View attachment 1444252View attachment 1444254View attachment 1444256View attachment 1444257
The 69 cars were usually released in mid Sept (pretty much all car mans did that) and it's no telling what the factory did. The build sheet should tell what's on it though. One of the things my friends and I did every Sept was to go to the new car dealerships to check out the new iron.
One last thing to say. Have been to other car shows where I was a guest and not one of the members of the club. Think that has a bearing on whether you win a trophy or not. Just my thoughts on the matter.
Sometimes a car club would 'trophy' someone's car that was really nice hoping to attract them in to joining.
I have a similar story with my project car that I am doing 95% of the work on (and learning as I go!): I've had the car for 30+ years (in a non-running state), worked on it off and on over that time and am finally beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel.
For better or for worse, it's always been low on the priority list with college, the job, the wife, the kids, and home/yard projects taking priority.
One of these days it will be done... :thumbsup:
Oh man, life gets in the way for lots of car builds. At 72 I'm still paying for my youngest daughter's college bs and she's still mad at me for not paying for the semester that she quit in......the bill is getting smaller but as long as they are still not charging interest, I'm not going to pay it off all at one.

People in our hobby are too hung up on getting a trophy. Just enjoy the company of fellow hobbiest.
By the way, nice car

C1B9F826-1382-49EE-8DAF-1E0D8F0D31F5.jpeg

People in our hobby are too hung up on getting a trophy. Just enjoy the company of fellow hobbiest.
By the way, nice car

View attachment 1445324
Yeah, and there's lots of people that are trophy hunters. What about the ones that go and buy one just to show off? Now that's pretty nuts but they are out there. The 'real' trophies are a good reminder of good times though....

I agree with all of your points and well taken. It was fun to take home this trophy and have it for latter years when the car gets older. So much work all of us put into bringing these cars back to life and look. I really did not expect to receive any thing and enjoy talking and looking at what other people have done to their cars. It is fun to see like Cud's and dusters. Also, much to my past when growing up. Listen to story's and seeing the pics of the shape the car was in before and after the restore. We all put so much of our selves and time into to the project not to mention the money spent. Being on the forum and reading all the post and watching what is being done to the car is fun for me. This will help keep these cars on the road for years to come, I hope.

Auto Transport Service
Back