• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

fire extinguisher location???

bird

Local time
10:40 PM
Reaction score
I was wondering where anyone has mounted a fire extinguisher in their 68-70 b-body.I had a pretty scary fire last August and now I have a couple of halon extinguishers that I would like to mount in the car, and in the trunk.
The car has a full interior and NO ROLLCAGE so I am trying to get some good ideas.
Pictures would be great!!!

so... nobody here mounts a fire extinguisher in their car?

448857[/ATTACH]"]
100_1630.jpg

Attachments

• 100_1630.jpg
    100_1630.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 82
kick panel on the passenger side, center console/hump area-on the passenger side, or on the panel behind the drivers seat

There must be a lot of road runners out there that don't have a fire extinguisher in them!
Come on ,help me out !

Mount it on the right side of the tranny hump.
Out of your way but easy to get to.
Also what for seat you have ? Bench or Bucket ??

Can you recharge these things or do you have to discard and buy a new one once expired?

I was told if it has a Metal top valve it can be recharged ?
Not sure on that perticular one but this holds true on newer one's.

mine is between the buckets on the hump on a quick release strap mount, close to the back seat, just out of the way, but still easily reachable in the drivers seat...

Earlier car, same location. Definitely recommend Halon extinguisher. Works great and NO mess. Well worth the cost if you need it.

Attachments

• DSCN1863.jpg
    DSCN1863.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 203
I put one in the race car...65 Dodge Coronet. I mounted a Safecraft Fire System behind the passenger seat then ran two lines to the engine compartment one to the right rear corner and one to the left front corner that way the entire engine gets covered, then I ran another line to the trunk and mounted it on one of the down tubes so it's covering the fuel cell.
With all of this I still left the hand held fire extinguisher mounted buy the shifter.

About 4 years ago Gary Murphy who has an original T/A Challenger that he runs in the Hemi Classes with us had a fuel line that must not have been tight and it sprayed fuel all over the distributor and caught fire in the traps. If it were not for the track crew at being at the end of the track his car would have been lost because he would have never been able to get the hood of by him self.
After that day I decided that a fire system was a good investment.

In my son's car it is just tucked under the passenger seat from the rear. It can lightly wedge in there but it certainly is not an ideal location to keep it stable and in the exact same place. A number of years ago, I had a real compact Halon extinguisher that fit in the glove compartment. I still have it but it has lost pressure so I have to recharge it.

This is a great thread for some ideas. When my 70 Road Runner restoration is done, I want to install one in an inconspicuous place - I'm not sure I want it so visible... (but of course it has to be quickly accessible too)

That's the Halon. Another under the seat and one in the trunk. image.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back