• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First Pitch! Play Ball!!!

Mike67

Local time
12:17 PM
Reaction score
Well our Champion Houston Astros started the season off in grand style! George Springer ( 17 MVP) 1st player in MLB history to have back to back opening day lead off HRs!
Who's your team and who do you think will win it all? I'm going with the Stros, pitching is better than last year and their offense is wicked good!

The dark horse of the American League is the MN Twins. Laugh but they di it all in a couple of past years. Last to first - not sayin - but still prayin

Go Giants! The window looks to have closed though...but what a ride (3 WS wins in 5 years..) I have a sneaky feeling that this could very well be the year of the Bronx Bombers....Something else, I love listening to games on the radio. Almost rather do that then watch on TV, especially when your team has good announcers..Giants have Jon Miller/Krukow/Kuiper...good times. Ray Fosse's been doing A's games since I was a teenager... and although I (obviously) have no love for the Dodgers I used to enjoy catching a Vin Scully broadcast every now and again..

Last edited:
Yankee fan of sorts here! I don't really watch sports too often anymore as I think they are all over paid and much of it appears fixed to me. Although I think it's true that they BUY the team, there is tremendous pressure to win. Also, in my day, most of the big stars were very loyal to their team,; something that seems to have gone away in favor of the almighty dollar. When I played we always we good sports and weren't out to kill, kill, kill. When I was a pitcher in little league long ago, (ages 9 to 12), a little guy got up for the first time and I actually pitched under hand to him. Everyone knew and agreed it was the thing to do. Back to the pro's. In NJ we didn't have a team which made most of us Yankee fans. I only went to a few games, (much cheaper back then), but I was there the day they retired the great Mickey Mantles number and was part of the 9 minute standing ovation. I still get goose bumps just thinking about it now! Not trying to hijack this thread, just good memories kicking in. :blah:

Braves fan from childhood here, since we grew up in Atlanta.
Suffered in the 60s and 70s with the typical 100 loss seasons. We had few heroes back then - Hank Aaron and Phil Niekro usually.
There were the glory years, too, with the arrival of probably the best starting rotation of all time in Smoltz/Glavine/Maddux, Bobby
Cox managing and Chipper Jones at 3rd. 14 straight division championships; they're all in the Hall of Fame now.
Personally, those were the later years where my dad and I were able to share all that before he eventually passed on, fitting really
since he always coached us when we were kids and wound up being president of our local Little League, me being the lefty pitcher
son who loved the game just as much as he.
Still do and still hopeful the Bravos figure it out once again some day....

White Sox! Win against royals yesterday 14-7
Matt Davidson 3rd player ever to have 3 home runs on opening day.

@Mike67 ....I followed this vehicle this afternoon and immediately thought of you....
upload_2018-3-30_23-22-30.png

A rough picture....the "Don't mess with Texas" sticker by the spare wheel triggered this post. :D

Last to first - not sayin - but still prayin
Stros were cellar dwellers for years, the Biggio/Bagwell, Clements/Johnson era really put them in a financial bind where they couldn't keep talent in the farm league. They've done it right over the past 3 years using the farm system.

There were the glory years, too, with the arrival of probably the best starting rotation of all time in Smoltz/Glavine/Maddux, Bobby
Cox managing and Chipper Jones at 3rd. 14 straight division championships; t

I lived in Griffin Ga. for a while working on the Ga. Dome, sometimes I would get called off to work standby @ FCS and got to see a few Braves games in 90-91, great atmosphere!

the "Don't mess with Texas" sticker by the spare wheel triggered this post.

Texans in NZ??? Glad to see the message made it down your way!!! Lol!

GIANTS!!!! and they beat Kershaw on opening day!. Can't believe Bumgardner breaks his pitching hand on his last Spring training start. D.L. for 6 weeks!

First pitch of the season? Ian Happ took care of the that...

Go Cubs!

Been bleeding Cubbie blue since 1973...

Have to chime in with that Cleveland team ( is ‘ Indians ‘ still offensive?). Kinda like ‘mopared’ though, I was a lefty too & loved Warren Spahn, Sandy Koufax.

First pitch of the season? Ian Happ took care of the that...

Go Cubs!

Been bleeding Cubbie blue since 1973...

Remember their announcer, "Cubs Win!" :eek:
I can't seem to remember his name! Harey Carey or something like that. LOL

Cardinals here. Born and raised in STL. Gibson is my favorite pitcher.
I have Stan Musial's rookie card.
I don't expect much this year. Pitching looks mediocre at best.
Molina is probably favorite player on this roster.
In 67 and 68 the nuns let us watch the World Series during class.

Auto Transport Service
Back