• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fixed! Wasn't the ballast resistor... See pics.

Myasylum

Local time
10:34 PM
Reaction score
I bought 3 ballast resistors each time fixed the problem temporarily. Bought a FBO ignition, to bypass the ballast resistor... wouldn't stay running again! Well I know the wiring was pretty shotty so I just decided to by a new harness. This was my first time doing this... needless to say, I'm guessing I found the problem. Works great now!
The tabs were even broke on the connector so it was just sitting in place. I probably kept bumping it causing it to be loose and lose the connection.
Don't know what's all going on here. Just a mess. I think they got it good enough to run and sold it... (To me). Now I'm going to do the dash. I'm sure that's 100 times worse.

20230513_223342.jpg

20230514_085612.jpg

IMG_1502.jpg

I bought 3 ballast resistors each time fixed the problem temporarily. Bought a FBO ignition, to bypass the ballast resistor... wouldn't stay running again! Well I know the wiring was pretty shotty so I just decided to by a new harness. This was my first time doing this... needless to say, I'm guessing I found the problem. Works great now!
The tabs were even broke on the connector so it was just sitting in place. I probably kept bumping it causing it to be loose and lose the connection.
Don't know what's all going on here. Just a mess. I think they got it good enough to run and sold it... (To me). Now I'm going to do the dash. I'm sure that's 100 times worse.

View attachment 1464857

View attachment 1464858

View attachment 1464860
Yep! That's a mess.

Dash harness is not that bad. Mark the old harness as you take it off. Ive done 3 and not that bad. Have fun :D

FYI,some dash harnesses have extra wires do to different option. 1970 super bee and charger same dash harness but extra wires for charger headlights. M&H harness is plug and play. Make sure that it is in stock or you could wait a good 6 months.

I saw a you tube video they just take off the whole dash and set it on a bench wire everything from there and then it's plug and play from there. (They made it seem fairy easy) I bought a new aftermarket dash too for $1500.00. So everything should be nice and new.

And yes, mine is a 72 Satellite. $760.00 though for the M&H. Pretty expensive especially since the engine harness was already $260.00.

And yes, mine is a 72 Satellite. $760.00 though for the M&H. Pretty expensive especially since the engine harness was already $260.00.
Cheap at twice the price. That old harness would make Smokey Bear blush. It was a fire hazard!

Well it is now a Christmas Wreath. No burial required!

705767875.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like typical butchered, old car wiring. Do yourself a favor, avoid having the "hottest car" in the area[ due to an electrical short derived fire] and REPLACE from front to back. Keep the old molded plugs but boot the rest.

View attachment 1464857

View attachment 1464858

View attachment 1464860
Need some sauce for that pasta

Yes, someone else mentioned it was a 74 harness as well. I have no clue how that happened. But it's correct now. Now I have to do the dash so it matches what's is supposed to be.

congrats.jpg
Well done, tackling such a project and seeing it through. :thumbsup:

@Myasylum - I felt your pain when I was sold a car barely patched together electrically, and I decided to buy a new engine harness H&M, H&M rear harness, and had an OEM dash harness, but after I got in there and removed the dash completely from the vehicle I decided to go painless. With some pain, LOL but much improved. I have just a little left to do and I will be driving. You are making a GREAT decision not to mess with that particular harness other than using it for a wreath. Just don't plug it in to a 120 AC volt socket, LOL

Auto Transport Service
Back