• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

flex plate and converter alignment ?

welder47

Local time
2:26 PM
Reaction score
My engine manual refers to a white mark on the converter and flex plate which are supposed to tell how to line up the bolts. My problem is that my car came in pieces and my converter clearly has the white mark but the flex plate either doesnt or is gone from it. Is there a easy way to determine how they match up? The manual make a big deal about the importance of this.

If everything is still apart,it's easy!!:idea1:Line up the flex plate to the converter holes and make your own mark so you can see it when it's in the car:usa2: If it's in the car,you have to start installing the converter bolts just snug.Could take up to 4 try's before you hit it,,,,,,,,,,,or you can get lucky and get it on the 1st try:munky2:Then make your mark in any color you like.When I take them apart,I take a rattle can and sprits one spot of the vert & flex:sleepy2:

Are you saying one of the bolts are offset and thats the thing to look for? I could unbolt the flex plate and hold it on the converter or can I measure it somehow to see which bolt it is?

yes, that is exactly what he is saying. after lining them up.. get a can of spray paint and spray the flexplate and converter with one line. that way when it comes to fastening the two together.. you have your flexplate paint mark facing bottom and then you can turn the converter to match it and then put in the bolt and no guesswork required after that.

yeah...the bolt locations on both the converter and the flex plate are "indexed"...A.K.A. - they only line up in one configuration.....If at first they don't line up with each other, just keep turning one till they all line up.

Yep, one bolt is offset. One other thing to keep an eye on is the bolt size itself. One converter flexplate combo uses 5/16 bolts and Some HiPo and aftermarket setups use 3/8 bolts. Just don't ask how I found out. (Twice).

Same way with the crank....the flywheel or flexplate only goes on one way.

Same way with the crank....the flywheel or flexplate only goes on one way.

and make sure you put it on the "right" way... some people have been known to put the flexplate backwards!!! yes i have seen it happen.

and make sure you put it on the "right" way... some people have been known to put the flexplate backwards!!! yes i have seen it happen.
Man, I've seen a lot of crap over the years....that included! It's the down fall of getting old lol

Auto Transport Service
Back