• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Floor shift column help

Danimal

Local time
3:34 PM
Reaction score
Hello folks, I need a hand from someone that has been into one of these! I find a breakdown for the column shift in the service manual but I can't find one for my 4 speed.
This is how it came out of the car so I don't know what all is missing.

I know I am missing the 2 square head bolts and nuts that hold upper and lower together, not sure if they had washers.

The snap ring on the shaft is missing.

The column shift shows a plate at the top but it doesn't look like this one would use a plate..?
Looks like the 2 pieces bolt directly together. Was there even a washer between these pieces?

Was there a plate on top of the turn signal switch or did it just bolt directly to the upper column?

Upper.jpg

Lower.jpg

column

do you have the parts manual or no someone with one ,when I get home Ill go out to the shop and see if I can scan a photo for you.what year and body?

Unfortunatley I only have the service manual, I would buy a parts manual if i could find one. It's a 69 Coronet.

Unfortunatley I only have the service manual, I would buy a parts manual if i could find one. It's a 69 Coronet.

I have rebuilt a few colunms and i use the picture in the year one catalog but i have an old catolog that i saved because it has parts break down pictures .
pm me and i might be able to find it and copy and send it to you.
I think you need the three screws and turn signal cam/switch withe the retaining ring for the cancel/turnsignal switch.
Cj.

most likely you can find a parts book at mymopar

I've done a few columns. My dilema when I do my own restorations is remembering what I did and what went where so I take pictures of everything. Then when I need to remember I load the pix into a flat screen on the wall near the car so I can refer to them.

I just compiled an active X gallery of column images (160 of them) that might help you out and uploaded to my website. Hope this helps.
www.Grumpys-Garage.com/SteeringColumns/SteeringColumns

FlatScreen.jpg

Thanks for the response to this! I put it all back together this weekend and it came out good. Grumpy I looked through your pics this morning and I think I have everything, except the turn signal switch and the plate that goes above it as CJ mentioned.
I had the old turn signal switch that is trashed but went ahead and installed for now and used some washers in place of the plate until I can find a plate. That looks like it will be the problem part, I may just make one and be done with it.

Am I correct in assuming that the plate at the top is all that keeps the shaft from telescoping out?

Auto Transport Service
Back