• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flowmaster question

rlsbee

Local time
4:51 PM
Reaction score
I've had Flowmasters on my '68 Bee (383 car) for a few years. All new 2 1/2 " TTI pipes with 40 Series Flowmasters. In the last few months, I've noticed a change in the tone on the drivers side at about 2K RPM. That has always been the point where I get the drone, but now it's kind of a sharp rap along with the drone. It goes away past 2 grand or under 2 grand.No leaks or holes any where in the system and the car still runs strong. Could it be that I blew out one of the baffles? I've never heard of that with Flowmasters but something has changed.

Some of those have a glass packing that could have been blown out or the baffling...

Maybe I'm wrong, but as much as I love flow masters, it's been my experience that they have a tendency to rust out from the inside a little quickly. This might explain your change in tone if a baffle has rusted out.

I've had Flowmasters on my '68 Bee (383 car) for a few years. All new 2 1/2 " TTI pipes with 40 Series Flowmasters. In the last few months, I've noticed a change in the tone on the drivers side at about 2K RPM. That has always been the point where I get the drone, but now it's kind of a sharp rap along with the drone. It goes away past 2 grand or under 2 grand.No leaks or holes any where in the system and the car still runs strong. Could it be that I blew out one of the baffles? I've never heard of that with Flowmasters but something has changed.

Flowmasters are not your best choice when it comes to sound regardless of series, I'm sure you are aware of their nickname .:icon_eek:

try tapping on that muffler with a rubber hammer and see if you hear anything loose.if not that then prob got a rust hole in one of the baffles inside it.

Maybe I'm wrong, but as much as I love flow masters, it's been my experience that they have a tendency to rust out from the inside a little quickly. This might explain your change in tone if a baffle has rusted out.
I'll have to look into that. I have access to a borescope and with the tailpipe off, I can look inside. I like Flowmasters, too. When I had the 2 1/4" pipes, I had Flowmasters on it and I ran them for about 15 years. I love the sound and get lots of good comments on the way it sounds.

That's what mine did recently! Then blew a hole in the bottom of the muffler! It was rusted from inside out as mentioned.. Baffle(s) toast! Good luck!

In my opinion nothing beats the flowmaster sound. Most people that drove them when new agree.

Auto Transport Service
Back