• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flush torque converter with drain plug

Outlawd

Local time
2:43 PM
Reaction score
My 71 charger daily driver tranny needs rebuilt. Got a kit coming from Cope but a basic factory replacement torque converter is out of stock most everywhere. My current tc has a drain plug, is there a good way to bench flush the converter?

I have one of those parts washer tanks and flush converters in there. I know that not everyone has one, but you could take your converter to a local engine rebuilder who would have one. A box of beer might cover the cost.

If the oil looked contaminated or lots of particles in the oil the converter needs to be thoroughly cleaned or replaced. Always a good idea to do this with a fresh trans rebuild. Maybe your transmission shop could recommend a torque converter shop.

If the oil looked contaminated or lots of particles in the oil the converter needs to be thoroughly cleaned or replaced. Always a good idea to do this with a fresh trans rebuild. Maybe your transmission shop could recommend a torque converter shop.
Yep, I understand I need to thoroughly clean which is why I posted the question. Do you have a procedure to flush out that works good?

Yep, I understand I need to thoroughly clean which is why I posted the question. Do you have a procedure to flush out that works good?

I always bought a new tc. Dave6t4 has a good idea. I'm hoping someone will chime in on where they are available. Hard to believe they are hard to find.

If there is any metal in the drained converter oil (test with a magnet), the converter is junk and will continue to contaminate new fluid with metal particles. Time for a new converter.

Auto Transport Service
Back