• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fokker dr1 tripe

Bladecutter

"Pursuit of Shape"
Local time
3:43 PM
Reaction score
IMG_20160330_171732.jpg

Not a good pic, but this guy showed up a little while ago & did some nice moves in the pattern.......turns tight. Zoom the photo @ center top and should be able to make out the triplane.......most likely a replica with possibly a jacobs or continental radial.
The original plane i think was a 5 cylinder Gnome 'rotary' radial....the crank static with cylinders revolving around it. British Sopwiths & Tommy Morse Scouts were same.......throttle was like a keyboard.....each button killed ignition to a cylinder. Gawd there must have been a lot of fouling.
This bird was a brown camaflouge.

Were those engines the ones that puked castor oil back in the pilots face.

Love to see these old planes flying. I take the family to Rhinebeck aerodrome in upstate new York every summer. They have a Fokker dr1 and a sopwith camel. My favorite is the German albatros in Bavarian colors, it is one of the most beautiful aircraft I have seen. They give rides in a 1920's era biplane like the swordfish.highly recommended.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Rhinebeck_Aerodrome

Rhinebeck is a very good take in, especially the show the WWI show they have on Sundays.

Rhinebeck is a very good take in, especially the show the WWI show they have on Sundays.
I would sure like to see it, one of these days, i hope to make that part of a journey to Rome, NY, to see Dad's Family's roots, ive never been before. Upstate Maine, and Pinehurst, lower in, North Carolina also.

A few pics of Rhinebeck from 16 years years ago...

Attachments

• 101-0106_IMG.jpg
    101-0106_IMG.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 206
  • 101-0108_IMG.jpg
    101-0108_IMG.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 197
  • 101-0109_IMG.jpg
    101-0109_IMG.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 191
  • 101-0112_IMG.jpg
    101-0112_IMG.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 197
  • 101-0113_IMG.jpg
    101-0113_IMG.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 178
  • 101-0119_IMG.jpg
    101-0119_IMG.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 175
  • 101-0115_IMG.jpg
    101-0115_IMG.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 190
Very cool thread and pics bladecutter and RC

Those are the most interesting air show birds to me

Very nice! There was a guy out here that made a home built SE5a but ended up wrecking it a few years back. He landed in a corn field. I think he is trying to rebuild it.

They definitely went through a lot of oil. I fly RC airplanes and I've always heard the triplanes are difficult to land as they don't like to set down!

Not a good pic, but this guy showed up a little while ago & did some nice moves in the pattern.......turns tight. Zoom the photo @ center top and should be able to make out the triplane.......most likely a replica with possibly a jacobs or continental radial.
The original plane i think was a 5 cylinder Gnome 'rotary' radial....the crank static with cylinders revolving around it. British Sopwiths & Tommy Morse Scouts were same.......throttle was like a keyboard.....each button killed ignition to a cylinder. Gawd there must have been a lot of fouling.
This bird was a brown camaflouge.

Hey, that's something I don't see every day...er...decade.

Yer right Blade, they had rotary engines, with nine cylinders, just 110 hp. No doubt they handled and turned well, especially with a top speed of 115.

I cropped your photo a bit...

tri.jpg

I'm sure you'll upload some more if you get the chance to get close. :)

Last time up was in a fully restored 1938 Stearman. Man, I love the old planes and it's been too long since going up!

Photon, Thanks, You got more definition out of it. Nice pix RC......i think the prettiest view ofvthe Fokker dr-1 is from rear, the tail feathers just rock me, very bird like imo, and all the scalloped trailing Edges....the paradox, such grace to a machine built to kill. Yin & Yang
My Dad loved the D-Vll....my understanding, the wings are full cantilever, not needing flying wires like say Spads, but beyond that, the fable is that the N struts wete only used as a placebo to the pilots confidence in the machine, they don't need them......i tend to believe it, though i do not know it for fact.
Slinkt, i agree on the albie......think i'll watch the Blue Max again soon, dont remember if Albatross's were in it, but Halberstadts were along with D-Vll & dr-1. Im pretty sure every bird was authentic replica.
3 weeks to Springy Fling-y......gonna be a fas fellas.....looking fwd to meeting a bunch of Y'all

Rode my Beemer to Rhinebeck in the 80's. Amazing place. Just the sound! Took balls to go up in those warbirds.

Photon, Thanks, You got more definition out of it. Nice pix RC......i think the prettiest view ofvthe Fokker dr-1 is from rear, the tail feathers just rock me, very bird like imo, and all the scalloped trailing Edges....the paradox, such grace to a machine built to kill. Yin & Yang
My Dad loved the D-Vll....my understanding, the wings are full cantilever, not needing flying wires like say Spads, but beyond that, the fable is that the N struts wete only used as a placebo to the pilots confidence in the machine, they don't need them......i tend to believe it, though i do not know it for fact.
Slinkt, i agree on the albie......think i'll watch the Blue Max again soon, dont remember if Albatross's were in it, but Halberstadts were along with D-Vll & dr-1. Im pretty sure every bird was authentic replica.
3 weeks to Springy Fling-y......gonna be a fas fellas.....looking fwd to meeting a bunch of Y'all

As you said, wing struts weren't needed for lifting support but they did aid in reducing flex. These were real 'seat of the pants' planes, no such thing as flying on instruments. In fact, there were a grand total of three items on the dash; a compass, ignition switch and a fuel gauge.

While the usual French and British engines made good use of castor oil for lubricating, the Germans had a shortage of this and were forced to use mineral oil, resulting in shorter engine life.

The original Fokker rotary engines were built by Oberursel A.G. and pumped out 110 hp, that same company is still around today but as part of Rolls Royce Germany. The Gulfstream V uses their engines...

One of the by products of the rotary engine was the extreme gyroscopic effect. I presume it was similar on the Triplane, but pilots of the Sopwith Camel (Snoopy's plane) found that turning left was much harder than turning right. It was often found that if you wanted to go 90 degrees left it was faster to turn 270 degrees right instead.

You're right about replicas Bladecutter, no a single original airframe remains. There were only a couple left in museums and they were destroyed by allied bombing in WW II.

However, anyone wanting to build their own, here's a place for plans. Remember, these were extremely simple machines from 100 years ago...

http://www.ronsandsreplicas.com/Fokker_DR1_Plans.htm

Auto Transport Service
Back