• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FOOD - Some History in the USA

Ron H

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:36 AM
Reaction score
Watching a 3-part documentary about food in the US (on hulu) and the advent of all the well-known brands we have today, Heinz, Kellogg, Post, Birdseye, Hershey, etc. Oly chit hey. ‘Food’ for thought! The ruthless skanks and those who had a soul. Stuff some food makers trying to undercut the competition, would dump in food being toxic.

Any decent food available dwindling as urban areas had a population explosion during the industrial revolution and immigration, rotten meat, produce, no refrigeration, amazed so many people survived. Some ingredients, tonics for stomach ills included lead and mercury. Heinz’ product was initially developed as he was searching for a way to make rancid tasting food have a tolerable – taste. Birdseye was ahead of his time having invented a way to freeze food that was safe and tasted decent before anyone had a freezer while living in a polar region.

Amazing story. Tell ya, makes me appreciate my time on the planet wasn’t back then, unless I lived on a farm.

Heck, even within the last few years I heard stories of this...

1695753888351.png

being mixed with this...

1695753967417.png

last few years I heard stories
Lol, I don’t mind an Arby’s French dip every so often; but dang, the scuttlebutt I’ve heard about – the ‘meat’…

"The Food That Built America" is a pretty good series.

FWIW.....

Next time you get a chance......shake a farmer's hand and say "Thank You!!!"

If possible, shop your local farm-to-table produce stands and give the money directly to the folks who raised the produce.

:thumbsup:

Watching a 3-part documentary about food in the US (on hulu) and the advent of all the well-known brands we have today, Heinz, Kellogg, Post, Birdseye, Hershey, etc. Oly chit hey. ‘Food’ for thought! The ruthless skanks and those who had a soul. Stuff some food makers trying to undercut the competition, would dump in food being toxic.

Any decent food available dwindling as urban areas had a population explosion during the industrial revolution and immigration, rotten meat, produce, no refrigeration, amazed so many people survived. Some ingredients, tonics for stomach ills included lead and mercury. Heinz’ product was initially developed as he was searching for a way to make rancid tasting food have a tolerable – taste. Birdseye was ahead of his time having invented a way to freeze food that was safe and tasted decent before anyone had a freezer while living in a polar region.

Amazing story. Tell ya, makes me appreciate my time on the planet wasn’t back then, unless I lived on a farm.
I grew up on a farm , food was quite good when there was someone to prepare it , a big part pf the time .there wasnt ...

I grew up on a farm , food was quite good when there was someone to prepare it , a big part pf the time .there wasnt ...
Lol, likely a reason why farm families were huge. More kids, more kids. Wife’s grandfather was a 4th gen farmer, we live on part of his old farm. He kept a diary, was interesting to read it from the 30’s, 40’s. Wandering hobo’s during the depression he hired to work on his farm, couple a guys who always came back in the summer to do work and what he paid them. Well, couple hobo’s robbed him when he was out in the field with his sons. They ransacked the kitchen while gramma and the daughters watched, robbing some cash and ripped the phone off the wall, was the only phone back then within miles.

Having a huge garden for some years, shared with the in-laws, was a bitch keeping it up. I was working then and wow, the time to weed, water, harvest, keep critters out, etc. became too much. Some nice harvests among the crap ones.

Auto Transport Service
Back