• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For Those Who Remember RaceWay Park In EnglishTown, NJ

66ChargerHI-PO

Local time
7:13 AM
Reaction score
For those who remember RaceWay Park In EnglishTown NJ, you remember they shut down then sold the dragstrip because people were complaining about the noise. I got this off For C-Bodies Only (as I am also a member). I used to go here with my father and see the NHRA dragsters, funny cars, prostock/prostock motorcycles, and see the other drag-racing. My stepfather and his friends went here for the Mopar Atlantic Nationals as well. What a shame this is. I bet all the souvenirs from here will be worth some money now, lol.
54436124_10156180505470835_1809550617513820160_o.jpg

Also....

http://supportscott2010.com/englishtown-raceway-park-sold-nj/

https://thecapitalsportsreport.com/2019/03/21/raceway-park-begins-demolition-dragstrip/

https://www.nj.com/monmouth/2018/01/after_52_years_of_burning_rubber_drag_racing_ends.htm

very sad
I went to middle school with both nap brothers
and grew up going to that place
also I went to many swaps/races over the years.
it will be missed

Shame. Heartbreaker. Grew up hearing the Commercials too. CandyMatics!

Used to go for the Diesel Nationals. Was there 2 weekends before the Kalitta tragedy. Miss that place.
Ah, WABC! That is the late Dan Ingram. We lost him last year, RIP.

Have gone there with my son & brother to the summer nationals when Mopar used to run Pro Stock and win back in the 80's. Now just go to the Swap meets in the fall and spring because Pro Stock is a Chevy thing. I guess the only way to win is stop everybody else from competing. I went to the first Mopar meet there, which was great, but went down hill the next year due to the IRS breaking every bodies balls at the first meet.

that's truly sad to see

I went there a couple times in my many travels
I remember it being a nice well ran facility
& good crowds

we've had like 20 old drag-strips/racetracks close here
in my 60 years

some just weren't managed well

some because of litigation/law suits etc.

some because of property value
{profit/cashing out}

some because of noise
(when stupid people moved next to a racetrack, that was there long before)

some because of urban sprawl encroaching on 'the sticks'
where most these track org. were located

especially Fremont/Baylands Raceway
(for a strip mall, that was never built)
or places like Oroville, Ontario, Orange Co., org. Irwindale, Palmdale/OCR
even Riverside, they all were a real gut punch
some were tracks, I was at, when I was really young & went to with my stepdad
some I raced at too
all of them have fond memories

brings a tear to my eyes every time, I hear or see
these types of posts or reports

Last edited:
The same fate that happened to the Mopar show at Englishtown, has now happened to the track itself! Sad to see a track that used to hold National NHRA events meet its demise! Times are changing, and the next generation is not interested in our way of life!

I grew up in South Jersey - Atlantic City - and my clearest memory from the Englishtown days is getting rained out one sunday. We left the track in my 55 Nomad with cheater slicks and on the way home in the rain, l swerved to miss a dog in the road and slid sideways into a telephone pole, bending the Nomad in half.
Two weeks later it was stolen and stripped of the 327, 4 speed, Cragars, gauges, etc....

For those who remember RaceWay Park In EnglishTown NJ, you remember they shut down then sold the dragstrip because people were complaining about the noise.
This is just untrue and completely false.
It has been said over and over and over again that noise complaints were NOT THE REASON of Englishtowns troubles.

Noise complaints occurred when racing went past curfew.
The track would be fined then and only then!

Get it right and stop posting lies and rumors!!!!

Englishtowns expenses were NOT being met with the down climb in attendance along with rising costs. With the rise in real estate prices, and falling income, efforts were made to save the motor ports park. It in the end, the 1/4 track has gone.

Other parts of the Facility still hold motor sports events. The clock remains open. Read what you posted. There is nothing you can find on the motorsports Park closing due to complaints. Everybody in the area knows that hawk has been in existence for a very long time. Any complainers that call the police or is it referred to in reminded that the waterpark was there first. They were then told of the car a few times in place. Get your story straight.

Use to go to the swap meet until it turned into a junk sale.
In the 80's I went to the old time drags and the Diesel Truckin Nats
Last show I went to was to see The Big Guys run.
Only drag strip close to me now is Atco

This is just untrue and completely false.
It has been said over and over and over again that noise complaints were NOT THE REASON of Englishtowns troubles.

Noise complaints occurred when racing went past curfew.
The track would be fined then and only then!

Get it right and stop posting lies and rumors!!!!

Englishtowns expenses were NOT being met with the down climb in attendance along with rising costs. With the rise in real estate prices, and falling income, efforts were made to save the motor ports park. It in the end, the 1/4 track has gone.

Other parts of the Facility still hold motor sports events. The clock remains open. Read what you posted. There is nothing you can find on the motorsports Park closing due to complaints. Everybody in the area knows that hawk has been in existence for a very long time. Any complainers that call the police or is it referred to in reminded that the waterpark was there first. They were then told of the car a few times in place. Get your story straight.

I thought what I said was true why they shut it down. I swear that was part of the reason at least. Am I wrong? My mistake then. Sorry

I thought what I said was true why they shut it down. I swear that was part of the reason at least. Am I wrong? My mistake then. Sorry

that sure gave them a very hard time over the years
with their hours of operation even being effected
but their down fall reason is why most businesses fail
money problems...

The relationship between the track & town residents was OK. A weekday curfew was put into effect. 10:00pm. IF any event went passed curfew times and there was a complaint, a fine would be handed out.

The story of the NJ drag track and noise is always the story and never the truth. The complained that were new to the area were shamed and told to go home or move. Hey have a lot of family in the area from walking distance to a 1/2 drive and they all say the same thing. Is what I said above.

It seems that most people jump to conclusions. A natural thing, assumption.The problem there is it casts a bad ugly shadow over the residents which just simply isn’t true.

When I went in the 80's, Englishtown raceway was in no man's land. It couldn't have been more rural. But every time I went in the 90's there was more development and homes were being built at a very fast pace. The boondocks has now become almost a small city.

When I went in the 80's, Englishtown raceway was in no man's land. It couldn't have been more rural. But every time I went in the 90's there was more development and homes were being built at a very fast pace. The boondocks has now become almost a small city.
It’s the same all over. Development. Sacramento at risk now. Shame.

Auto Transport Service
Back