• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Found a new use for Costco Portable Garage

moopa

Local time
12:55 PM
Reaction score
I see alot of good ideas on hear regarding makeshift sand blasting cabinets. I decided to use one of those Costco Tents for a blasting booth,intially intended on doing it outside in the tent, but with the very heavy rains coming on the West Coast, I thought I'd put the tent together inside my shop. Once I got it together, I figured I'd keep it inside where it's warm and dry! I then peeled back 3/4 of the roof, and put up clear poly to let more overhead light in. Works great, a huge tarp on the floor pulled up around the edges keeps the sand( actually copper slag) inside, where I can sift and reuse. All I need now is something for exhausting dust...o, that's my 72 Satellite I'm blasting.O ya..it's a tough job trying not to damage the new paint with all the sandblasting and welding that I'm doing. The knuckle head I bought the car from, did not fix the rust under the vinyl top or the trunnk, behind the bumpers,etc....fun!
:santa:
Mark

IMG_2810.JPG

IMG_2827.JPG

IMG_2829.JPG

IMG_2815.JPG

IMG_2820.JPG

IMG_2824.JPG

100_1858.JPG

That is a really cool shade of green. Great idea on the blasting tent.

And it doubles as a beer tent...Bonus!

Nice garage, you could park a Peterbilt in that thing!

LOL! That's a diet Dr. Pepper can! O the color is the 2003 or so Dodge Ram Timberline green....if I can't save the paint, I'll likely do a color change to a factory Mopar muscle car color.:rolling:
Mark

And...the tent will double as a paint booth,( maybe not for a great top coat job, but at least priming, trunk floors, accessories, etc).... after a powerwashing to get rid of the sand!
Mark

I used my painting respirator...but yes, a fresh air hemlet is on the list...for painting,too!

Wow, lots of free silica being released with the sand in sandblasting, ouch, very dangerous, paint respirator is adequate? I don't know brudda, you may want to invest in a good breather apparatus, free silica gets in the lungs and it ain't coming out. Most business' that offer Blasting services don't use sand anymore. Many reasons; mainly the free silica release, but, also, sand, when smashed into your body panels explodes and thus the release of free silica. And, a big part is not every grain of sand is angular to cut as needed, lots of abrasion and this is where the heat comes into a potential to damage your panels. A better blasting material for you to use would go get yourself some Aluminum Oxide, and make sure you have some good air behind you, and blast away! Good luck!

thanks for the tip on aluminum oxide. i didnt know any of this

I have the same "tent" for my fire wood.
Been thinking about other uses like what your doing for my car projects.

Maybe to exhaust dust and fumes I was thinking of peeling down the side wall at the peek of one end enough to mount and exhaust fan.
Maybe a triangular cut plywood with a gable house attic fan mounted to the plywood with a hole cut for the fan. Steel straps or cable to mount the plywood frame with the fan to peak of tent frame.

Be careful with your lungs!

Good luck and keep us updated.
Your putting my ideas to work before I can. LOL

Wow, lots of free silica being released with the sand in sandblasting, ouch, very dangerous, paint respirator is adequate? I don't know brudda, you may want to invest in a good breather apparatus, free silica gets in the lungs and it ain't coming out. Most business' that offer Blasting services don't use sand anymore. Many reasons; mainly the free silica release, but, also, sand, when smashed into your body panels explodes and thus the release of free silica. And, a big part is not every grain of sand is angular to cut as needed, lots of abrasion and this is where the heat comes into a potential to damage your panels. A better blasting material for you to use would go get yourself some Aluminum Oxide, and make sure you have some good air behind you, and blast away! Good luck!

Thanks for that info. I'm actually using copper slag, but I say sand as a habit. But defineitely will be getting a fresh air system, soon. Other than by shop blasting cabinet, I've maybe in total blasted 25-30 min in the tent,it just gets too hard to see in there, and my small 5 hp 60 gal compressor can't keep up for more than about 5 min. I have heard of the dangers of silica sand over the years, and thought the copper slag was a better wat to go.
It's a good reminder to all the importance of personal safety, thanks so much again for the advice....I wish you were close, I'd just let you do it!LOL:yes:

Cheers, Mark

Yeah, me too! I can completely clean a B Body fender inside, outside, all of it in about 20 minutes, comes out clean as it was when new, with a slight etch to the surface for paint to adhere to. 5 HP 60 Gal is a bit weak, but, the best part about this is you are doing it yourself; PRICELESS!!!

I'll spend so much on all the equipment that I coulda paid someone to do it! LOL!

I see you've been busy.

I'll help you recoup some of that when it comes time for me to sand blast some of my engine parts :)

She's having new springs put in today and the insurance runs out on Thursday, then I can take it apart and work on it over the winter.

I see you've been busy.

I'll help you recoup some of that when it comes time for me to sand blast some of my engine parts :)

She's having new springs put in today and the insurance runs out on Thursday, then I can take it apart and work on it over the winter.

I haven't gotten alot done, since you saw it last, but some progress is better than none. Any time you need to blast some parts, bring 'em over! If they're too big for the cabinet, then they can go in the tent, once I get the car out of there! What all are you planning on taking apart?
Mark

Ive been having a hell of a time getting a 440 Air Grabber base plate as I keep getting stuck with 383 versions that people think are 440's, so I'd like to do that and sell it.

Also I'd like to do my fan, rad, water pump and assorted brackets. Thats about it I think. :)

Ive been having a hell of a time getting a 440 Air Grabber base plate as I keep getting stuck with 383 versions that people think are 440's, so I'd like to do that and sell it.

Also I'd like to do my fan, rad, water pump and assorted brackets. Thats about it I think. :)

Have you checked with PG Classics on the base plate , They reproduce lots of hard to find parts, and they reproduce the base plate you are looking for, Most everything I got from them I have been very pleased with, I did get a side scoop that needed lots of body work to remove the waves in it, but it was still a very nice reproduction .

Have you checked with PG Classics on the base plate , They reproduce lots of hard to find parts, and they reproduce the base plate you are looking for.

Thanks for the tip!

I downloaded their catalogue, didnt see any base plates and phoned them, and they dont have it.

I've called many places, including "shakerhood.com", YearOne and no one is repoping these.

My only hope is to find one on Ebay or forums like these. There is one on Ebay now but they want $490 plus shipping.

Sorry for the thread jack Mark lol

Auto Transport Service
Back