• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Found a rhinoceros beetle in my front door.

coronet68mx

Local time
6:23 PM
Reaction score
As a few of you know am a biologist, so I found this beetle upside-down in my front door (Eastern hercules beetle) a nature wonder, this one is specially beautiful, the curious fact is the distribution of this particular species, ( Dynastes tityus, Linnaeus 1763) limited only to the US. Generic Guide to New World Scarab Beetles-Scarabaeidae-Dynastinae-Dynastini-Dynastes
I kept the beetle and am making a terrarium for him, I hope he survive a few moths.

20221130_152839.jpg

IMG-20221130-WA0000.jpeg

Last edited:
Here in central Florida. We have Triceratops beetles? I think that what they are called? They stumble around the floor at work. We relocate them back outside.
We also have mole crickets! One of the weirdest insects ever!

Watch your fingers! Lol Make a good can opener.

Years ago we found one at a service station that was trapped in a Coke bottle case, one of the wooden ones. It took up the whole bottom of that square. So, like the size of a Coke bottle!

I always thought the Dung Beetle was fascinating. Rolling a ball of **** around is your purpose in life. Think of that for a minute! :eek:

Watch your fingers! Lol Make a good can opener.

Years ago we found one at a service station that was trapped in a Coke bottle case, one of the wooden ones. It took up the whole bottom of that square. So, like the size of a Coke bottle!

I always thought the Dung Beetle was fascinating. Rolling a ball of **** around is your purpose in life. Think of that for a minute! :eek:
I believe that the humanity failed to realize how important insects are in our daily life, this bugs for example, as worms, decompose tons and tons of rotten wood and transform into fertil soil, the female lay eggs generation after generation in the same rotten log until nothing is left, the beetle stage as impressive as it looks is just for reproduction purpose.

Lots of days I feel like a Dung Beetle too! I guess that's my excuse for my occasional sh_tty disposition! Actually, the dung beetle remark reminded me of one of the coolest sculptures I ever saw. There is a place not far from me that features chain saw wood carvings. It attracts artists & carvers from far & wide. They always have a nice outdoor display of all kinds of wood sculptures. When I passed by I immediately zero'd in on this incredible 8 foot long sculpture of a huge turd with a dung beetle at each end. I wished I could afford to buy it for a sick & twisted but beautiful & unique lawn ornament. I have a picture of it somewhere from a few years back. If I could find it I would post it here! :BangHead:

Last edited:
Sorry to almost Hijack your thread Leon. We have had enough bugs this year with those invasive Chinese Spotted Lantern Flies! Did you get those down there as well???

As a few of you know am a biologist, so I found this beetle upside-down in my front door (Eastern hercules beetle) a nature wonder, this one is specially beautiful, the curious fact is the distribution of this particular species, ( Dynastes tityus, Linnaeus 1763) limited only to the US. Generic Guide to New World Scarab Beetles-Scarabaeidae-Dynastinae-Dynastini-Dynastes
I kept the beetle and am making a terrarium for him, I hope he survive a few moths.

View attachment 1380761

View attachment 1380763
He's a ***** little critter. We get a few weird ones here, but nothing that exotic.

Here's a giant Weta....native to New Zealand....
1669883432879.png

These things are protected.

Holy Crap Roger, that thing looks like little gun barrels could poke out from under the shell. Reminds me of the old ELP "Tarkus" album cover from way back when!

Auto Transport Service
Back