• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Frame rail interchange?

khenrichs

Reaction score
Can I take back fram rails out of a 71 72 satilight and use them in a 71 72 charger? I found a good set of 71 72 charger frame rails on a car in a local junk yard but I also found a 71 72 satilight with even nicer fram rails. Also what about the trunk floor and inner rear wheels wells.

I'm going to use "round-about" logic here. In the year one catalog they sell a rear frame-rail cap for 62-74 B-bodys. So, by that logic, yes, they will fit. Have you checked AMD yet for them? I think the trunk and wheel wells are available through AMD also. Heres the link, and welcome to the forum! http://www.autometaldirect.com/

What is a satilight again? I'm just teasing, I see this is your first post; welcome! It's spelled Satellite. I recommend not messing with old metal especially when new stuff is readily available!

I thought that that did't look right! My bad. I know what you are saying about the old iron but these cars are in great shape. The Satellite was a hit in the front end in the late 70's and sat on block's it's whole life. The Charger is the same way and i can get the whole car for the cost of one new trunk floor or inner fender.

auto body specialties sells full or partial frame rails.the full ones cost $200 per side i think,haven't talk to them in a while.But if you can get a whole car for less than that go for it.when you do take out the rails from the donor car just make sure to clean real good before you install them.then if there is any other usable parts from the car you can always see if anybody here would buy them.

I hope to trade the guy some suff I don't need. I also plan on sand blasting the frame rails, might just take the whole back half of one.

Yep i am pretty sure the plymouth and dodge frame rails between 71/72 should be the same. If not they will be very close.

Just as an fyi there are HUGE differences between the 73/74 cars and the 71/72's...including frames...so be very careful if being told a 73/74 part will work. Some things will, and a lot won't.

Yep i am pretty sure the plymouth and dodge frame rails between 71/72 should be the same. If not they will be very close.

Just as an fyi there are HUGE differences between the 73/74 cars and the 71/72's...including frames...so be very careful if being told a 73/74 part will work. Some things will, and a lot won't.

I did see that on a 73 road runner thay had a rubber bushing between the k-member and the frame.

Yep the 73/74 cars had an isolated k member and isolated rear suspension to create a smoother ride. The K members between BB and SB were different too and the suspension has large differences from the 71/72's. The body lines also are different too.

You can get solid bushings and biscuits now and beef up the newer cars and with schumacher finding a BB k member is not a big deal any more.

I prefer the 71/72 B body's but admit that I always liked the 73/74 charger SE's with the opera windows!

Back