• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Free Online "Brand X" Factory Service Manuals???

Points are nothing more than a switch....if they are not connected right like Don mentioned or have some kind of a coating on the contacts like Dan mentioned, they won't work. Points systems are pretty dang simple but also have come across bad condensers before too.

SOLVED! Guess what? It was the points. I walked my father-in-law through the tests step by step & explained what each test meant.

When we finally determined that both the coil & coil/cap wire were good (using the posted vide - thank you), tested continuity on the "- coil" to points wire good, ground at distributor tested good & pointed out we'd already replaced the cap/rotor/condenser, he finally let me pull out the points.

To be fair, I missed this myself at least 2-3 times.....but the wire coming from the "-" of the coil to the points was attached TO THE WRONG SIDE of the insulating piece of plastic. This grounded the coil CONTINUOUSLY instead of on/off/on/off via the points. SUCCESS!

Now we just have to drain out & replace the year-old gasoline and re-set the timing.

THANK YOU GENTLEMEN!

Using my test this would have been solved within the first minute. Glad you finally got it:thumbsup:

Back