• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Front Bilsteins, No Dust Boot?

JR_Charger

Local time
7:58 AM
Reaction score
bilstein-front-no-dust-boot.jpg

bilstein-rear.jpg

This doesn't look like a good idea. Why do the cheapie shocks I had on the front of the car have a dust boot, but the expensive Bilstein's don't? The rear Bilsteins have dust boots, albeit chintzy plastic ones. Would it be possible to move the dust boots from the old shocks over to the Bilsteins?

I have used shocks that had them and ones that didn't. I don't see the need for them unless you're going off road.
Do you own an orange '69 Charger with a flag on the roof?

Hey, I've driven cars that weren't even Chargers off road! But seriously, the condition of the old front shock, which has not seen more than a few thousand miles and those on the road, suggests the dust boot is a good idea.

After market dust boots are available. On modern cars with strut suspensions the boots get transferred to the new struts.

I searched around and found this -
All of our shocks are high quality direct bolt-in OEM replacements, but occasionally a manufacturer will sell a shock that does not come with a boot, even when the OEM shocks did use boots. This is OK and the shock can be installed without a boot, or with the OEM boot reused.

A shock dust boot is used to protect the shock rod from rocks and other debris, particularly on the highway, so in many cases manufacturers determine that the boot is unnecessary because the shock is protected by other suspension components. This is often the case with struts and coil over shocks, where the spring helps protect the shock rod from rocks.

Shocks can be run without boots and will function perfectly. In fact, many offroaders who deal with large amounts of mud will recommend not using boots at all because boots can trap mud against the shock rod and over time can cause pitting in the rod or lead to failure in the seal. This is only a problem with extreme offroad machines, but it illustrates the fact that boots are an extra protection for shocks and are not absolutely essential.

If your shocks did not come with boots and you would like to add them, you can buy a universal shock boot here.
Link

The front shock is definitely not protected by anything in our cars. I'll put dust boots on mine. I can't believe a high end shock wouldn't come with them.

Bilstein did away with the boots some time ago. There are multiple seals on the shaft to keep dirt out.

As long as that chrome rod stays smooth. I imagine it will tear those seals up fast when the surface gets rough.

Auto Transport Service
Back