• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Front discs for 14" wheels?

Triplegreen500

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:16 AM
Reaction score
So, I was thinking this weekend (only made me dizzy for a little bit....), and it occurred to me that my '72 Satellite has factory power discs...and 14" wheels.

Well...had. I've changed the wheels, but both the factory steelies (long gone) and the old Keystone Klassics I ran for years, were 14".

I keep reading here that if I change my '70 Charger from 4 drums to front discs, I'd have to change to 15" wheels (it currently has the factory 14's on it with full wheel covers). Would I not be able to put on a set of brakes like my Satellite has, and keep the 14's? 2 reasons - cost (of course), and I like the originality of my Charger and don't want to deviate too much if I don't have to.

Thoughts?

Do a parts run first.look in both manuals and compare parts. Then you will know if it's worth it or not. Don't forget about the Mc and portion valve etc. Just a thought

My 1970 GTX was equipped with factory power disc brakes and 14" wheels. This was the first year of the single piston calipers, which I had to rebuild once during the period I owned the car. Unlike the earlier factory Bendix four piston set-up, these seem to have better parts availability. I still have a rebuild kit for my former car I'd be happy to pass on to you at Carlisle this summer, if you decide to go with an OEM set up.

@1967coronet just did a disc swap and kept his 14" wheels - at least I think it was him.
Others have documented doing it also - you need only avail yourself of the most powerful
reference tool this site has to offer:
search box.png
It ain't a perfect SEARCH box, but it works once you get used to it. :thumbsup:

When I put the Right Stuff front disc conversion on the Roadrunner it said you couldn't use 14 inch wheels. The road wheels he had fit on them but left barely any space. I think it may have been a 1/4 inch of clearance. But they did work.

My challenger has 14in wheels. I did a disc swap during the resto, the set up is off an FMJ body car. 10.95 rotors. No issue. Its if you use the next rotor size up like 11.95 rotor or something like that. You just need the right parts. Dusters never got 15in rims but could be had with discs...

OK, just wanted to check since I had that thought over the weekend. If I can get stopping power (the drums work fine, but NOTHING in reserve if I needed it), and not have to encumber the expense of wheels and tires...win-win. Thanks all for the input. I'll start digging deeper - I'd been operating on the foregone conclusion that "will not fit, must change rims" so the whole project had been back-burnered. But, I'm doing front bushings this winter so that'd be a good time to swap spindles and brakes...and yes, appreciate the note but I know I'll have to change either the MC (currently manual drums), or the prop valve, or both...

Let the research begin!

Leeds brakes (which I'm almost certain was SSBC) has the kit for converting drums to discs using the existing spindles.
I put the SSBC kit on the Charger with manual brakes and it works well.
14" Magnum wheels go right on.
With the original "deep dish' 14" x 5.5" steel rims for the spinner caps I had to use a 1/4" spacer or the caliper would hit.
https://leedbrakes.com/i-23438990-front-disc-brake-conversion-kit-spindle-mount-mopar-b-e-body.html
Note they also have a version with drilled and slotted rotors for a bit more.

Awesome info, thanks!

Nothing as dressy as Magnum wheels here - just the stock original 14" steelies with full covers, survivor-style :)

I did a front disc conversion on my '66 Satellite. No problems using my 14x5.5 factory Rallye Wheels

IMG_1817.JPG

Like mopared posted I did just do a front disc conversion, I used the Scarebird system. That set up makes use of a 10.5 rotor and my 14" steel wheels fit fine.

We offer a complete power kit from leed brakes that works in conjunction with your factory drum brake spindles and clears 14" rims. If you have any questions please feel free to PM for additional info.

https://p-s-t.com/i-23163967-front-disc-brake-conversion-kit-with-factory-power-drum-brakes.html#!year=1970||make=DODGE||model=CHARGER

James From
PST
I saw this posting, and checked your site for a kit to work on my 64 Fury. Front Spindle Mount Disc Brake Conversion Kit I see there is an adapter bracket that bolts to the existing spindle, correct? But what are the calipers from? They don't look like the Mopar parts I am used to seeing.. Thank You BBD

They look like a Kelsey Hayes copy. I believe they were standard style calliper for an A body and other cars fitted with discs back in the day.
They do seem to work OK on a bigger car though.

On the 14 inch wheels thing.
I have found over the years some steel rims are not designed to fit over discs only drums.
They do not have the right shape on the rear of the rim to clear the calliper.

Anybody know if original old Magnum 500 wheels fit over discs? My car has 14 x 5.5 wheels with original spinners from back in the 1960s. I would like to keep them.

image000000 (5).jpg

I saw this posting, and checked your site for a kit to work on my 64 Fury. Front Spindle Mount Disc Brake Conversion Kit I see there is an adapter bracket that bolts to the existing spindle, correct? But what are the calipers from? They don't look like the Mopar parts I am used to seeing.. Thank You BBD
The Leed brake kit use the stock drum brake spindle. The caliper is Kelsey Hayes designed similar to what was used on the early mopars (4 piston factory disc brakes) and early mustangs.

Thanks
James From
PST

The Leed brake kit use the stock drum brake spindle. The caliper is Kelsey Hayes designed similar to what was used on the early mopars (4 piston factory disc brakes) and early mustangs.

Thanks
James From
PST
PM sent.

Auto Transport Service
Back