• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Front drum brakes 63SF

ttomtt

Local time
12:57 AM
Reaction score
I would like to confirm, the best(maybe only) way to change the wheel cylinder is to remove the backing plate?
Thanks, Tom

You can get to the bolts. Loosen both at the same time and pull the cylinder away as you do. Repeat in the reverse order to install.

Think you can remove WC's without removing BP's. I did it on my 66 Satellite. 7/16" wrench and some patience, it tight area. Try box end first, may not fit.

May have to grind the box wrench thinner to fit over the bolt head. Way easier than taking off the backing plate.

May have to grind the box wrench thinner to fit over the bolt head. Way easier than taking off the backing plate.
100% agree.

Thanks to all that suggested the modified 1/2 box end. Worked great, much easier to remove than to replace. A new MOPAR tool in the box.
Tom

Don't have to remove backing plates. Just did all four corners of my Road Runner with 100% all new brake parts and hardware.

20210805_201646.jpg 20210806_164434.jpg

Yes, if you can't turn it with a wrench, rusted, rounded,etc. you have to remove the backing plate on the front wheels to remove the wheel cylinder bolts.

I just had to do it on Uncle Bill's Cuda.

Gotta love home made tools !
Lol, old FSM’s show you all kinds of special tools to use! Yeah? Where am I going to find this or that nifty tool to use described in a 1963 manual? Call the guy to your garage in the Snap-On truck? Ya gotta make one yourself or figure out a plan B, or C.

Auto Transport Service
Back