• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Front sway bar bushings install?

superbeedave

Local time
5:39 PM
Reaction score
Hi guy's, Question, I am in the process of installing new sway bar bushings and I am getting ready to paint. Should I paint the bar and bracket separately or install bushings in brackets first then slid them up to there position then paint? Or slid bushings on bar first then brackets onto bushings ten paint? This is a 69 Super Bee. Thank you, Dave

Last edited:
I paint everything apart, then install the bushings. Use rags on the metal so you don't scrape up the paint when squeezing the bushings in. I use a couple of pump pliers and silicone spray.

Last edited:
I just did this. I painted everything first...slid the bushings on the bar....got the bushings in the brackets...then windex on the bar and slid the brackets/bushings into position. A bit stiff but no problem overall.

Getting the bushings in...2 hours for the first one....literally 90 seconds for the second one. I used door shims for small blocks of wood to press the busing into without doing any damage.

You guys do OEM rubber or Polygraphite? If I ever do poly's again I'll be cutting them forkin things and welding back together..

You guys do OEM rubber or Polygraphite? If I ever do poly's again I'll be cutting them forkin things and welding back together..
Rubber.

I did rubber. 15/16th.

Are u guys referring to a rubber bushing replacement being made for the front OE type triangular shaped brackets, if so where r u buying those. Were u able to find some NOS, or is someone reproducing them. I couldn’t find any anywhere & reluctantly ended up going with the Energy Suspension polyurethane ones......Thanks Jim

Got to apologize to Wayne and the OP. Just dug out the bushings I use and sure enough they are from Energy Suspension. Still not that difficult to get them in after you have done a few and learn the tricks. I have never had to cut and reeled the strap.

20200424_063708.jpg

Mine were PST's polygraphite. Darker black and harder looking than those Energy ones, but who knows. Nightmare getting them in to place and ended up retouching the paint anyhow. Would have been so much easier just touching up the paint from a couple of welds.
beerestoration2018 1922.JPG
beerestoration2018 1950.JPG
beerestoration2018 1951.JPG
beerestoration2018 1952.JPG

beerestoration2018 1962.JPG

beerestoration2018 2014.JPG

beerestoration2018 2015.JPG

beerestoration2018 2026.JPG

beerestoration2018 2177.JPG

OEM were dipped all together. The rubber would flex and the paint would flake off and there were usually drips hanging off back in the day.

You with the "Pliers and silicone spray" are better men than I am... So simple if you have a mig available to cut and reweld than fight this losing battle

Auto Transport Service
Back