• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel funnel for rear (under license plate) gas tank location

ffgreg32

Local time
11:17 PM
Reaction score
I have a 65 Satellite, rear fill, (behind license plate. Often I have a 5 gallon gas container that I use to go get 110 octane to mix in with the 91 here in my town. I have a really hard time with getting the last gallon or two into the tank due to the awkward angle, and the fact that I am older and it's hard to hold the container for long periods while the gas trickles in. Is there a funnel in the country that will allow maybe a flexible hose and one could pour the gas into it while standing up? Thanks in advance

Do it every fill on 3 cars. Plastic transmission fluid funnel and cut the opening back to a fair size so fuel doesn't back up into the top. Just barely stick it in the neck, close the plate to hold the funnel and then fill from the can from just the opening of the can, no nozzle.

I bought a siphon hose at Harbor Freight. It has a metal end on one end with a ball in it. I run the open end of the hose into the tank and put the 5 gallon container on a stool. Then I just giggle the metal end into the gas, and the siphon self starts. Takes about a minute and a half to empty the 5 gallons into the tank and you will get most every drop of fuel out of your 5 gallon container.

I siphon mine into my 68 Roadrunner as well. Takes no time at all and no spilling. ruffcut

I bought a 45 degree funnel and also “rigged” the plate bracket so it can be held open

IMG_2710.jpeg

IMG_2711.jpeg

IMG_2712.jpeg

On a ‘65 dodge it makes a big difference opening the trunk, and even though I owned a’65 Plymouth I can’t remember if opening, it gives more room

I got one of these from autozone. Works good no need to hold the 5 gallon can.
Screenshot_20230607_163233_Samsung Internet.jpg

Unfortunately I don't have the funnel or a photo, but I recall using one my father fabbed back in the '60's from a tin funnel with the appropriate 1" copper pipe and fittings soldered up to the required fitment. Worked great for decades, unfortunately it probably got sold for scrap copper when it wasn't being used anymore.

I have an 18" piece of heater hose on the end of my gas can nozzle. ....

I bought a siphon hose at Harbor Freight. It has a metal end on one end with a ball in it. I run the open end of the hose into the tank and put the 5 gallon container on a stool. Then I just giggle the metal end into the gas, and the siphon self starts. Takes about a minute and a half to empty the 5 gallons into the tank and you will get most every drop of fuel out of your 5 gallon container.
Can you pump gas out of the tank into a container with that?

Auto Transport Service
Back