• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel Gauge Issue 1966 Belvedere

andrew66

Local time
9:24 AM
Reaction score
Ok, I am at a loss as my fuel gauge in my 1966 Belvedere will not show full, the gauge when the fuel tank is full only goes to 3/4. I have more or less replace everything that is related to the fuel gauge but no change. I mean everything the fuel tank sending unit, the circuit board, voltage regulator, capacitor and the gauge no change. Any help would be greatly appreciated. (all other gauges work perfectly!)

Could the float hit the top of tank before it reaches full. If arm is bent wrong so it won't read. If gauge reads empty and you fill tank does it only take 12 gallons?

Could the float hit the top of tank before it reaches full. If arm is bent wrong so it won't read. If gauge reads empty and you fill tank does it only take 12 gallons?
Arm goes to the top of the tank with fluid in it. I think it is a 19 gallon tank.

What float could go further if it didn't hit top of tank. Inside there's a board with a wire wrap around it. There's an arm that go across the wire if float arm is bent so it does reach the full part of the wire. Float shouldn't hit top of tank.

The sending unit CAN be adjusted...at least my replacement was.

With the sending unit out, mine had a slot in the side where the rheostat is. Thru it I could see the high & low 'contacts' (looked like pieces of solid wire, about the size of a bicycle spoke). I was able to reach in with a scribe and move them further 'out' to get more deflection in the gauge on the dash. My gauge now goes well beyond F when full, and well below E when reaching empty. I did this about ten years ago. Unfortunately I didn't take photos.

Only sucky part was dialing it in. Took me about three attempts to get it where I was satisfied.

Good luck, take photos, and update this thread. Somebody else will find it useful in the future.

Auto Transport Service
Back